Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long distance wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowSniper

ShadowSniper

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:25 PM

So, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a solution to this all morning and could use some help.

We currently have an internet connection up at the house but lack a way to get it down to the barn ~1000 ft away as well as the greenhouse which is ~1000 ft further than that. After researching I think we might want a wireless bridge from the house to the barn and then have a repeater there to boost it the rest of the way? There's a couple of trees in between but there's plenty of open space for the signal to go through. I'm unsure as to what we could use to reach that far though other than a directional antenna is probably a must. Wired is an option but I'm ignorant as to what kind of wire or add-ons would be neccessary.

Is this do-able in a cost effective <$500 way?

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

I don't know of a good way to do this for <$500.  The best way would be fiber between the buildings and then an access point connected to the fiber.  Other solutions would use line of sight technologies, but the $500 is going to be the problem.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

There are now high powered repeaters that might get the job done but I can neither recommend one over any other because I have no personal experience with this sort of thing. But they are out there and aren't that expensive.

You could also build a couple cantennas. I have not built one of these but it never looked hard to do. And most how to sites will provide you with a parts list with links on where to order them. If you can solder you can make them. And they'd be REALLY cheap to do.

Running wire would be the best way but it is rather expensive.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:15 PM

I'd recommend a directional outdoor wireless bridge. Keep the frequencies down to get a bit of non-line-of-sight performance. Since you mention barn and greenhouse with a fair bit of distance I assume we aren't talking an urban area here, so hopefully not a lot of interference. I have a few very similar setups here in our rural area (I do wireless problem solving, among a few other things, for a living).

At that range a set of 3 Ubiquiti LocoM2 radios (~$50 each), one at the house as AP and one each at barn and greenhouse as SU's (Subscriber Units, Clients, etc) should get the job done as long as you can see around the barn. The Loco has a relatively wide (about 60 degree) beam so the ends don't have to be in line. The LocoM2 has a range of about 2 miles at multi-megabit speeds. If you do your own installs you should end up well under your budget. Engenious and Mikrotik are others that have similar equipment.

If you aren't comfortable drilling holes, running wires, or crimping Ethernet connectors you can get it installed professionally or find someone local that can get the work done for a pizza and six pack (actually, I've quite happily accepted fresh chickens, freezer beef, venison, elk, and salmon, both smoked and fresh, among others - There are benefits to knowing how to terminate a cable). If the barn and greenhouse are in line I'd try the direct shot first, but you may have to add one radio and hop house to barn and barn to greenhouse. Configuring the radios is through a web based GUI and not much harder than most home routers.

When folks ask why you need broadband to the barn, by the way, the best answers I've gotten so far are "So the Cows can watch Mooooovies" and, with a client that put cameras in the lambing pens linked to their living room TV so they didn't have to constantly go out to the barn to check status, for EweTube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users