Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mandyii

Mandyii

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

So basically, i just killed my computer.

Well not me per say, but my brother did, he had all the files for windows xp SAVED on my computer, and of course he tryed to run these from off the computer which he relized was a bad idea, after the computer restarted and it now has o operating system because the setup deleted NT which was on there, to install Xp, now it can't get to the XP files on the computer because it wont turn on.

My computer comes on and goes to a black screen with a flashing white cursor, no its not the dos prompt.

I can however get it to the dos prompt.

WHat me and my brother are trying to do is get the windows files off a reboot disk for another computer.
We get to the dos prompt and go to the d drive and type the command I386\WINNT

This should take us to the folder where the setup files for windows are. And they should run and install themselves.
But...

thats not working.

Is there anyother way i can fix this with out a windows cd of any sort?
I doubt the Pervious operating system files were totally deleted, is there any way i can get the compter t find reinstall files for NT that were already omn the computer, through the dos prompt?

Or is getting a windows cd the only solution?

Anyone????

:thumbsup:

Thanx,
Miss Mandyii Marie, 17, u.s.a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

Mandyii, I just want you to know I am still researching you problem, and I have not forgotten about you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Sorry I took so long. From what I have gathered in you post and the reading I have done over the last few days you will need to clean install your OS. When your brother activated those XP files it probably over wrote some of your NT file making them unrecoverable.

I regret you had a bad experience in this forum. All thought we do not get paid to answer question, we none the less take this responsibility very serious. If I were to have answered your question before now you would have not gotten my best advise. I could have simply told you to format and reinstall. That would have been easy. It would however not have been the right thing to do.
Everyone here started in the same place that you are today. That is why this forum is here. I hope you can see we were not ignoring you, and I do hope to have the opportunity to help you again.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:00 PM

good luck mandyii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users