Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro refurbished computer activation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beerbon

Beerbon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

I am trying to fix a computer for a friend that was dug out of storage and the password forgotten.  After I couldn't reset the password or otherwise gain access to it, I decided to reformat and install the OS fresh.  Upon installation, the product key on the side of the computer is invalid.  There are two CoAs on the computer, one, seemingly the original, that is marked DO NOT USE, and another that is marked refurbished.  I tried the serial on the refurbished sticker first, but neither one works.

I read somehwere in the endless sea of nonsense about such an issue, and one theory was stated as Microsoft 'negated' the refurbished product keys for some reason or another.  The thread was so old that the link provided as proof didn't work anymore.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  I believe I may have bricked this apparatus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

Hello, and Welcome

You need to activate by phone. If that does not work you can call this number (U.S. only) and keep trying until you get a live person. Explain the problem and the two COA stickers.

Win (888) 571-2048

#3 Beerbon

Beerbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Does that mean it will need to be connected to the internet?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

You do not need to be on the internet to activate by phone. I am not sure if you need the internet to finalize activation. You will get an automated voice. If you cannot activate after this then get a live person. http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/activate/phone/

#5 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Make sure that you are installing the correct edition and channel of Windows for the COA.

My guess is that yours says "Windows XP Professional for Refurbished PCs" or "Windows XP Home for Refurbished PCs".

Your options:

1. The computer should have come with a disc with the same "for refurbished pcs" wording on it, if you can find it use that.

2. Find an OEM Windows XP OS disc matching the manufacturer of the machine (IBM, Dell, HP, etc.) to use the built in SLP info and OEM key so you won't have to type a key during installation or go through the activation process.

3. Install the same edition of Windows XP (Professional or Home) as is on the refurbished COA, and use the product key from another computer (or one you find online) for installation, but don't try to activate it. Once connected to the internet, use the Windows XP Product Key Update Tool and enter the refurbished product key to correct the edition information and activate the computer.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users