Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Windows 7 SP1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twinbird

Twinbird

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Desktop Specs: Windows Home Premium 32bit, 3 GB RAM, Intel Pentium D CPU (3.2GHz)

It seems there are a lot of corrupt windows files.

Windows update isn't working, chkdsk isn't working, sfc isn't working. I've done several virus scans (found no problems) and have searched the internet and tried countless solutions - nothing is working. I used SeaTools to test the HDD and it passed all tests. 

So, a repair install is what I'm planning next. However, when I try to perform a repair install (a.k.a. an in place upgrade) I'm told that I need to have SP1 installed first. So I downloaded SP1 and tried running it, but then I get the following message:
lZzuRsK.jpg
And I have no idea what to do next, any help would be greatly appreciated :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

You can try following these instructions, per :http://www.windowstipspage.com/fix-windows-7-service-pack-1-wont-install/ .

Download System Update Readiness Tool, 32-bit .

Download the tool and run it.  The update readiness tool scans registry keys, system configuration files, manifests and then corrects them if it finds any issues.  This tool can fix the following errors.

• The system cannot find the file specified.
  • The data is invalid.
  • The source for the package or file not found.
  • The component store is in an inconsistent state.
  • A component’s file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.
  • Unable to parse the requested XML data.
  • An invalid character was encountered.
  • An identity string is malformed.
  • The name of an attribute in an identity is not within the valid range.
  • The value of an attribute in an identity is not within the valid range.
  • The parameter is incorrect.
  • No signature was present in the subject.
  • An error occurred while Windows Update reads or writes to a file.
  • A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the time stamp in the signed file.
  • One or more required members of the transaction are not present.
  • Windows could not search for new updates.

After running the update tool, try installing the service pack again.

Louis

Note:  It is not necessarily wise to post the same problem on various forums at the same time...the possibility of receiving suggestions/information that undermines or conflicts with suggestions received at a different forum...this can easily lead to nothing useful.  It appears to me that this topic is posted at another forum and I suggest that such posting may account for your current confusion and frustration.

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#3 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hello,

After running SURT (System Update Readiness Tool) can you please provide the following logs:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

#4 Twinbird

Twinbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for the responses! The error is gone and I'm currently installing SP1. Below are the logs. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion by posting in multiple forums, I should have mentioned that I did so in the original post (I've done this in the past, even in this forum, with no complaints, it's just so I can get as many helpful responses as possible - but I should have mentioned it in my first post, I apologize).

CheckSUR:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-02-07 17:48

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Corrupt Identity 0xC0150019 Microsoft-Windows-ieframe.Resources, Culture=en-US, Version=8.0.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e3=, ProcessorArchitecture=x86, versionScope=NonSxS x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_en-us_aa56e58ba603e4d6 Bad identity
(fix) CSI Corrupt Identity CSI Registry Item Repaired x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_en-us_aa56e58ba603e4d6

Summary:
Seconds executed: 281
 Found 1 errors
 Fixed 1 errors
  CSI Corrupt Identity Total count: 1
  Fixed: CSI Corrupt Identity.  Total count: 1
CheckSUR.persist:

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-02-07 17:48

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store
(f) CSI Corrupt Identity 0xC0150019 Microsoft-Windows-ieframe.Resources, Culture=en-US, Version=8.0.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e3=, ProcessorArchitecture=x86, versionScope=NonSxS x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_en-us_aa56e58ba603e4d6 Bad identity
(fix) CSI Corrupt Identity CSI Registry Item Repaired x86_microsoft-windows-ieframe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.7600.16385_en-us_aa56e58ba603e4d6

Summary:
Seconds executed: 281
 Found 1 errors
 Fixed 1 errors
  CSI Corrupt Identity Total count: 1
  Fixed: CSI Corrupt Identity.  Total count: 1

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

<<...it's just so I can get as many helpful responses as possible ->>

Well...I find that 1,000 different opinions/comments/suggestions...just signify that 1,000 different responses have been made, none necessarily dictating a proper course of action for problem resolution.

One well-founded answer is what is needed, not multiple guess from different forums, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users