Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 14.04 update adobe flash

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

I keep getting a message from firefox telling me that adobe flash is outdated and should be updated. How do I update flash?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Unfortunately Adobe stopped releasing new versions of flash for Linux some time ago.

You should already have the last version they released for Linux, and all its security updates (which are still released) if you keep your system updated.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Flash player current Version 11.2.202.442

Check here

adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf

workspace-1_004.png

Edited by NickAu, 07 February 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've got the latest version. Why does firefox keep telling me my version needs updating?

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

I guess that Firefox isn't configured by Mozilla to "know," that Adobe stopped releasing new versions of flash for Linux, and displays this warning for the benefit of Windows users.

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

I don't know.... just the other day I ran an update and noticed a flash update.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

So did I, but they will be security updates for the existing flash player, rather than a new version.

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

my OS isn't complaining about needing an updated version so I do not know what to say buddy.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,691 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Try manually updating it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keep-flash-up-to-date-and-troubleshoot-problems#w_updating-flash

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

my OS isn't complaining about needing an updated version so I do not know what to say buddy.

If you don't know what to say why bother posting in the topic?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

I was being polite and answering his previous response to what seems to be a reply to me.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

Apologies if I've confused matters. Mike, thanks for your response. I've remembered where I see this warning, and it's only in Puppy, which uses an earlier version of flash.

jmtjet, what does the warning look like? Does it look like this?

flash1_zpsbkdwp3pj.png

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

Here are some examples of fake flash update warning messages. The screenshot in the above post is the "official" warning.

https://www.system-tips.net/adobeupdate2014-com-fake-flash-player-update-alert/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/warning-fake-adobe-flash-update/24cacd2e-b6f8-4fd8-948b-68a42ec6e8fd

http://www.pctools.com/security-news/ileana-tacconelli-fake-adobe-flash-update-tdss/

If the warning is like any of these, then I suggest posting in the malware section of the forum.

EDIT: Specifically, it looks like the "Am I Infected" section of the forum would be the one to post in, or alternatively ask a moderator to move this thread.

Edited by Al1000, 09 February 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,691 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:24 PM

Consider Clearing Your Profile this fixes many issues.

• In Nautilus (the GUI file browswer): Press Ctrl+H or click View > Show Hidden FIles. Then you can see files and folders that start with a .. Go to your home folder if you're not already there, and rename .mozilla to .mozilla.old (or whatever you want to call it).

• On the command-line: Open a Terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the command:

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old

This will force firefox to create a new 1.

OR

Reinstall Firefox (from the latest version in any of your software sources)

To reinstall Firefox, removing global configuration files and getting the latest version available in any of the software sources configured on your Ubuntu system, run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install firefox

Edited by NickAu, 09 February 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,691 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Here are some examples of fake flash update warning messages. The screenshot in the above post is the "official" warning.

https://www.system-tips.net/adobeupdate2014-com-fake-flash-player-update-alert/
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/warning-fake-adobe-flash-update/24cacd2e-b6f8-4fd8-948b-68a42ec6e8fd
http://www.pctools.com/security-news/ileana-tacconelli-fake-adobe-flash-update-tdss/

If the warning is like any of these, then I suggest posting in the malware section of the forum.

EDIT: Specifically, it looks like the "Am I Infected" section of the forum would be the one to post in, or alternatively ask a moderator to move this thread.

I have pm'ed someone for advice.

Edited by NickAu, 10 February 2015 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users