Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Free 2013 uninstalled but not

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mudhutbob

mudhutbob

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

Greetings,

In 2013 I tried Bitdefender Free 2013 on my WinXP computer.  I chose to uninstall it and thought I had using their own uninstaller program.  Now.... 1.5 years later I found Bitdefender again on my computer.  I was running Pitiform Speecy (nice program) and saw I had 2 antivirus programs running..... Avast! and Bitdenfender.  Wow... was I surprised.  I uninstalled Avast! because of an iastor.sys BSOD problem and that seems to have solved that problem.

Now, however, I have tried to uninstall Bitdefender but can't find a way.  It doesn't show up in Revo and I used the Bitdefender uninstall program again.  It appears to have worked but it still on the Virus Protection tab in Windows Security Center and also on Speecy. 

Any help to remove Bitdefender completely is appreciated.

MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

Since you uninstalled avast...removing Bitdefender will leave you unprotected so you need to download a replacement and have it ready.

These are the instructions provided by the vendor.
How to uninstall Bitdefender
Bitdefender uninstall tool direct download
Uninstall Tools for Bitdefender Products...Paid, Trial and Business Products

If doing those steps did not work, then I suggest you reinstall Bitdefender Free, reboot then try uninstalling again.

Note: It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the help.  I ended up reinstalling Bitdefender and the system seems to run good (ie no BSOD, iastor.sys error).  I'll leave it for now but the web based interface is a little odd.  I assume the low impact footprint means it is still trustworthy?  All the reviews say its a good program.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

Not a problem. A lot of our members who use Bitdefender say the same about it's light footprint and they like it.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the help.  I ended up reinstalling Bitdefender and the system seems to run good (ie no BSOD, iastor.sys error).  I'll leave it for now but the web based interface is a little odd.  I assume the low impact footprint means it is still trustworthy?  All the reviews say its a good program.

Just to make sure, since I'm assisting you in your other thread, did you reinstall Bitdefender 2013 or the newest version, which should be 2015?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

Members should mention when they are getting help in another topic.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

The other thread I'm helping him is kind of unrelated to that one, it was related to BSOD caused by an Intel driver. However, he wanted to uninstall Bitdefender and posted a thread here to ask for advice, since I couldn't see Bitdefender installed on his system despite having him listing all his installed programs via MiniToolBox. At the end, he asked me for advice on which Antivirus to use, but I told him to make him sure to be able to uninstall Bitdefender first since it didn't work the first time.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Sorry for the confusion.  Since I believed my issues were both hardware and software related I posted them what I thought was the appropriate forum.  I appreciate everything BC has done to help and will communicate better next time.

I eneded up installing Bitdefender 2015 since other downloads for my version (1.0.14.889) were on 3rd party websites and I wasn't sure if it was safe to d/l them.  Should I unistall 2015 and reinstall 2013 from another site or leave it alone?  No more BSOD and after 50+ hours of working on the solution I am a happy camper.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

I would leave it alone mud, it's always better to have the latest version of an Antivirus product installed. As long as you're happy with it, it's all good :) Should we consider your other thread solved as well?

unite_blue.png

#10 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Yes... please close them.  My system is now working flawlessly and I hope some of these posts will help others solve their issues.  Do you have a donation account I can help fund Aura?  I appreciate everyones time and patience and Bleeping Computer for an awesome website and staff.  Cheers all.....

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Sorry for the confusion.  Since I believed my issues were both hardware and software related I posted them what I thought was the appropriate forum.  I appreciate everything BC has done to help and will communicate better next time.

Not a problem. There also was an ongoing topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum but it was closed yesterday by Machiavelli.

As a general rule Bleeping Computer does not close (lock) topics in this forum or the one in AII...we just end the discussion if the issue has been resolved.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yes... please close them.  My system is now working flawlessly and I hope some of these posts will help others solve their issues.  Do you have a donation account I can help fund Aura?  I appreciate everyones time and patience and Bleeping Computer for an awesome website and staff.  Cheers all.....

I personally don't take donations, but I know some helpers does as it's wrote in their signature. If you want to donate, you can donate to a charity of your choice the money you wanted to send me since they most likely need it more than me :)

I enjoy assisting over for free online otherwise I wouldn't do it, my pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users