Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Adware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anoj_anjo

anoj_anjo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hi All,

Is there any good software available to stop adware??

Thanks,
Anoj

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 February 2015 - 12:03 AM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hi anoj :)

The best software to stop adwares is you. Adwares are often installed via programs that you install, as they are what we call "bundled" in the installer. In order to avoid installing adwares on your system, you should always install programs from their official source that is trusted. Also, always select a "Custom" installation and opt out offer promotional offers in it. In fact, you should pay close attention when you install a program and read every page to be sure to understand what you're accepting when clicking on the "Next" button. You could use Unchecky as well, which opt-out (unselect) additional program installation when you install a program, however, if the offer isn't visible in the installer, it won't be useful at all. This is the real way to stop adwares. Yes an Antivirus or Antimalware can also help in stopping them, however, you have more chances to detect an adware installation in a program installer than an Antivirus or Antimalware program have.

Here's the link to Unchecky if you wish to install and use it, I recommend it.

http://unchecky.com/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

Hello there,

As Aura says, the best way to stop adware is prevention by not installing them in the first place.

Aside from Unchecky, you may want to read Emsisoft's article on PUPs and Malwarebytes' article on PUPs to know what to watch out for.

Also you can install a reliable anti-malware software so they will catch any adware (or just PUPs in general) that you may have missed during installation. Both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware are both reliable AM solutions that both detect and remove adware (and other kinds of PUP).

Regards,
Alex

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

Also, the best way to avoid even having those checkboxes or hidden goodies is to only download any application straight from the developers site. Developers are already promoting their own product and rarely bundle junkware with it.

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

Or you can use AdwCleaner if you want to remove it :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:35 AM

With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or an alternative third party uninstaller like Revo. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) to fix any remaining entries they may find. These tools will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants. They also remove related files and folders wherever they hide...to include those within the AppData folder and elsewhere.

Folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves about the practice of bundling software.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 anoj_anjo

anoj_anjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Thnk guys for your quick responses @Aura @Alexstrasza @TsVk! @TheDcoder @quietman7

#8 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

We are always here for help :thumbup2:

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

No problem anoj, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users