Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mplayer missing a codec?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hello :)

I run an ubuntu distro and can use mplayer to stream youtube videos etc just by opening the location.

However, I installed arch recently and if I try to do that, it doesn't work, I assume I'm missing something, just wondered if anybody knew what it might be?

Regards

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

What error are you getting?

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:
  •     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 07 February 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:46 PM

I'm not familiar with Arch Linux, but on their Wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/codecs ) at the bottom there is a section titled "Tips and tricks" which mentions not being able to play some things in mplayer and recommends visiting this codec page ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html ) to obtain codecs for mplayer. On that page it says:

Our binary codec packages add support for codecs that are not yet implemented natively, like newer RealVideo variants and a lot of uncommon formats. Note that they are not necessary to play most common formats

Not sure what codec youtube uses these days.

#4 mrfingerz

mrfingerz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:59 PM

What error are you getting?

There was no relevant error messages, even when running from the terminal. Anyhoo, using smplayer instead 'solved' the issue, or just using mplayer from the command line  ;)

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users