Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Works Problem... Sort Of.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

Ok here's the problem. My friend accidentally deleted Microsoft Works. He tried System Restore but it didn't work. We're about to resort to backups made when he got the computer. I don't want him to lose all of the data that he had. Seems like we're stuck. He deleted Works 3 days ago, and I'm not quite sure how, but he said he deleted it through Add/Remove Programs. Thanks in advance!
If all else fails, we're going to resort to compressing some files and then putting them on it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...
His sister's admission to college pretty much depends on this. Either we fix this, or she can't go to college, and she would torture my friend if she doesn't get in. So, yeah, either we fix this, or my friend's in some deep trouble. Just figured i should tell you why we need the help fast ^^;
Oh yeah, one more thing... We need a surefire answer if it's a download... Let's just say he's got internet troubles (AOL)

Edited by Oh noez... SUPER CRASH!, 25 June 2006 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

Here are some options:
1. Assuming Works came pre-installed on the computer, then you should be able to re-install it from your restore disks. Either the disks will allow you to selectively restore just Works, or you may have to elect to restore the computer to the way it was when you first got it (from the factory). In the latter case, you will lose any application you have installed since then.
2. In any event, be sure to SAVE TO DISK any documents you don't want to lose, no matter what option you use. Deleting Works should not have deleted the document files.
3. MS Word (a), and OpenOffice.org (a free alternative to Office), should be compatible with Works files but you have to do some extra steps (:thumbsup: for OO.o You may therefore, use either to retrieve and modify the Works files, either on his or on your own computer.
(a) see conversion instructions here:
http://www.av.k12.mo.us/documents/works2office.html
(:flowers: see the instructions for OO conversion of Works files here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=21448

Hope this helps.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users