Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reformatting SSD that had two partitions.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rbtree

rbtree

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

What happened:

I had cloned  a 500 gb Samsung SSD, from a 320 gb HD...a mistake, as I had to allocate a drive letter to the unallocated portion. A minor issue, but anyhow, a few months later, I was doing some cleanup, and chose to compress the contents. Another mistake, as now the OS could not be accessed. I still had the old HD, and am using it for my main disc, running W 7.

Anyhow, wondering how to start over and get the SSD back to one partition...can I simply reformat both? 

And, if I'm successful, can I then copy the contents of the current C drive over, but not clone it, so as to be able to then have use of the whole drive as one? Alternatively, I could start over and reinstall the OS to the SSD, I suppose. But the old install is working fine.

Thanks, in advance, for any helpful tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Check this out, it fixed the same issue for me. 

http://gparted.org/

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 rbtree

rbtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the tip.

#4 rbtree

rbtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

Thanks again. Couldn't figure out how to run gparted. But, after formatting both partitions of the SSD, I cloned the old HDD using EaseUS ToDo Backup, as the Samsung clone program didn't seem to want to work, then, in disk management, I expanded the partition, which eliminated the 2nd partition. Then, made it the boot drive and it works as it did before. 

Now, I'll take out the 320 gb WD HDD and store it, in case of a failure, as it, of course, contains the OS and programs.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

glad you got it worked out, kind of surprised the Samsung did not work worked fine on my LT.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users