Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Carriage Error on HP Officejet 6600

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 giget27

giget27

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

So, I'm just getting into the world of trying to fix my own computer issues. A few months ago I got a new printer, an HP Officejet 6600, and everything was great until it stopped letting me print because it claimed I was out of yellow ink. I couldn't even print in black and white. Online I learned this was a common problem with HPs so I followed someone's advice and took out the whole ink carriage apparatus (I had a youtube video show me how) and taped pieces of copper to the key bits of circuitry so the printer wouldn't be able to read how much ink was there.

I followed every step carefully and I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything, but now the printer won't work even worse than before. It says that the print carriage cannot move even though it seems to move back and forth easily (both on its own and when it's off and I move it by hand). I've looked around for things that are jamming it and haven't found anything. I even opened the thing up again and retraced my steps back to how I installed the copper. As far as I can tell the copper and tape aren't in the way of anything they shouldn't be and everything seems to be hooked up properly.

Even more annoying, I can't get the printer to stop giving me error messages. If I try to do anything on the printer's menus I get the message about the carriage not being able to move. When I close that I get the old message about the yellow being depleted. Then I get about two seconds before I hear the print carriage making odd noises and I just get the first message again. I can't even make the printer do anything because those stupid messages keep coming up!

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to fix this or how I might have messed up at this point? The whole issue is driving me nuts!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

Even more annoying, I can't get the printer to stop giving me error messages.

i would scream and yell too if somebody put a foreign object inside of me

maybe remove what you put in there? :whistle:

Edited by mikey11, 06 February 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#3 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

I agree with Mikey ll  and perhaps short circuiting is not the answer.

#4 giget27

giget27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:29 AM

Right, I understand that I may have messed something up, but I was hoping to get the printer to work AND keep it from demanding ink that I don't need it to be printing. The instructions about the copper wire are something I got on this very site and the people in that thread seemed to think it was a good idea.

Can anyone give more in-depth answers about what might be happening with my printer? Is there a way to get it to work without needing to completely undo my work so far?

#5 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:45 AM

If you go to the HP website, update all drivers for your printer, there is a method to print only black per HP.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Grr..with respect to HP and their proprietary ink cartridges! From what I have learned, it's not impossible to override the ink cartridges issue, however tricky. If I can find the tips from another frustrated cartridge HP user, I'll post their work around! Each ink cartridge has a sensor chip, when one is empty (and they are never 100% empty!) the printer is programmed to "stop and give the error message!"

To save on your colour and black ink, you can change your printing default y fast draft and black ink only.
This does save ink, and allows you the control to select colour when required.

Post back if you need steps to change your default settings.

Side note: my son takes the HP ink cartridges to Costco and gets them re-filled! Mind you, I feel that the quality is awful, however for non professional printing the job gets done.

PS Forgot to say, I would remove your copper; unplug, disconnect then reconnect, power up and see if the printer will work. No doubt your particular model is not happy with your copper "invasion" 😄😄😄

Self edit to add PS

Edited by softeyes, 12 February 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

Looks like there is a complete video on this for the HP 6700 which is probably similar to yours

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

As long as there is an foreign object in the way of the cartridge carriage, your printer will stop and give you an error. New technology, meant to allow fixing a problem without a technician. Unfortunately it appears the copper trick is not a success with your printer.

Thanks and compliments from an awesome forum friend , I was able to obtain their personal "fix" for the ink issue!

HP has specific "numeric" codes on the back of each cartridge; have two (2) sets of HP cartridges. One set installed, it runs out, remove and save. Insert new set, HP printer reads new numbers. While enjoying new cartridges, fill empty set (can get re-fill kit www.jettec.com) Continue this rotation process. The HP printer does not have numeric memory thus the rotation works.

Worst case is one or more cartridges might wear out (like tires!) While you're enjoying the 2 sets, you will have time to find a great price on ink cartridges for the time you would need to start the rotation process.

As a start, unplug all power sources etc. as YouTube video for different model, remove copper, start with fresh ink cartridges. Post back if you are still finding errors/ or printer will not print.
😄

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

After checking the recommendations already posted please check the following

“A few months ago I got a new printer, an HP Officejet 6600, and everything was great until it stopped letting me print because it claimed I was out of yellow ink”

I don’t know whether or not this is your exact model but this is what I checked to see if it could be helpful for you

HP All-in-One Printers Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One - H711g Cartridges

http://www.staples.com/Officejet-6600-e-All-in-One-H711g/cat_CL168140

I’ll pick on the yellow cartridges but the same principle applies to the other cartridges also

The standard size HP 933 Yellow Ink Cartridge (CN060AN) has a theoretical yield up to 330 pages

--- In my experience, new printers come with standard size printer cartridges

Then there’s the HP 933XL Yellow Ink Cartridge (CN056AN), High Yield has a theoretical yield up to 825 pages

--- It's your decision but I believe moving up to the XL size is a good idea

I see you mentioned other issues but the bottom line is you probably need new Yellow and Black ink cartridges

--- Maybe they emptied out sooner than they should have; I've seen that many times

--- Maybe you started using Black only and that's fine; I've seen that also many times

What ink levels do you have on the other colors? Consider those in your decision of what to purchase

I have helped many people over the years on similar issues on their printers regardless as to whether or not it’s an HP printer or another manufacturer. Sometimes some fixes work but generally speaking keeping up with the proper ink cartridges is the normal solution

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

I have helped many people over the years on similar issues on their printers regardless as to whether or not it’s an HP printer or another manufacturer. Sometimes some fixes work but generally speaking keeping up with the proper ink cartridges is the normal solution

Have you ever helped an individual having printer problems that had taped copper wires to the back of their ink cartridges?

The OP surely knows how to buy new ink cartridges. Read her original post again. It's awesome you have worked on printers, focus on her carriage error, along with the "altered" cartridges with copper. Hopefully you will know how to assist her with that actual problem.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

Have you ever helped an individual having printer problems that had taped copper wires to the back of their ink cartridges?

The OP surely knows how to buy new ink cartridges. Read her original post again. It's awesome you have worked on printers, focus on her carriage error, along with the "altered" cartridges with copper. Hopefully you will know how to assist her with that actual problem.

I had to lol

Honestly it looked as though you were just posting to post.. makes me wonder if cmptrgy was simply trolling the thread

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:18 PM

giget27 I hope you are successful in solving your issues

Since I'm being taken for trolling; I want to wish you the best of luck

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

Erm..if you were curious as to if I "softeyes" was posting just to post LOL that's funny!! I have white dress shirts waiting to be starched and ironed, and " what's for dinner"!!!!
No interest in post counts, that game is for sissy's.

Honestly, I would not think there was a troll here either? A OP, with two separate issues. IMHO, we are all a team doing our best to help one another.

Fair enough? Right, and as post above shares, all of us wish success. My question about copper is curiosity? If giget27 found that option here in BC, there might just be someone who knows it works?

Agree we are helping the OP? I think so, and it would be lovely to hear the current status giget come back to us ✨

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

No my post wasn't about ' softeyes ' it was lol'ing at your response to cmptrgy - I was basically thinking what you had posted in response to his post.  And I went ahead and posted my thoughts about it.

You are right, we are here to help.  all too often people look at the first post or just the heading and don't even read the post and provide a response that doesn't seem to fit quite right with the rest of the thread.

Anywho where is the OP...?? your thread is running away without you!

#15 giget27

giget27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay. I've been on vacation and unable to work with my printer at all.

Thank you for all your suggestions. By your general consensus it looks like one way or another I need to buy new ink. I'll remove the copper wire when I get home tomorrow and see if that fixes my issue with the print carriage error message. I will also try adjusting my settings to only print black ink. We'll see how this goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users