Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java update available - Requires newer version of Windows; repeat later

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

A notification in the task bar says that there is a Java update available on my Windows XP professional computer and I click on it and it presents me with a message "Java installer requires a newer version of Windows." and I hit OK. but later in the day or another day, the same update available shows up with the same requires a newer version of Windows when I click on it.

Why is Java trying to update itself on a version of Windows that the newer version is not compatible with? how do I stop it from showing up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi Sylveon :)

You should disable the Java Auto Updater program that is being launched on start-up. You can easily do that via the msconfig panel, under the Startup tab. Like for Java Update Scheduler and disable it. Once done, go in the Services tab, look for a service with the same name and disable it as well. That should do the trick.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

As of April 8, 2014 Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP and therefore it is no longer an officially supported platform. Users may still continue to use Java 7 updates on Windows XP at their own risk, but support will only be provided against Microsoft Windows releases Windows Vista or later.

Since Java is no longer supported for Windows XP Java becomes a potential security risk.  If you are not running programs which require Java I would suggest uninstalling it.

Another consideration you should be aware of is the fact that Internet Explorer is no longer supported for Windows XP.  This isn't that big of a deal since there are browser that still support Windows XP, like Chrome.

This is one of the real downsides to XP no longer being supported by Microsoft.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

Yes...using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it.If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users