Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Hard drive to other laptop: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hello, I am trying to move a hard disk from my Hp pavillion dv9000 laptop to a dv9500. You'd think you could just boot to safe mode then replace the drivers, but even then I get INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How would I install the hd controller when I can't boot to XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hello, I am trying to move a hard disk from my Hp pavillion dv9000 laptop to a dv9500. You'd think you could just boot to safe mode then replace the drivers, but even then I get INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. How would I install the hd controller when I can't boot to XP?

Boot from a cd/dvd or usb drive with a bootable device (windows boot disk). You can not swap out a working drive with windows on it to another computer that has different specs. You will need to re-install the operating system.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

You sure? I've done it a few times before using completely different systems, and it worked. You'd expect a slightly different version of basically the same computer would work. I am determined to get it to work without reinstalls, because I have a lot of stuff on the computer and no backups.

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

You sure? I've done it a few times before using completely different systems, and it worked. You'd expect a slightly different version of basically the same computer would work. I am determined to get it to work without reinstalls, because I have a lot of stuff on the computer and no backups.

Good luck

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

I echo the sentiments posted above :).

You say that you've done this before with no problems...I say consider yourself lucky.  The fact that you are talking laptops...which may have BIOS and other passwords implemented by the manufacturer...tentatively does not make moving a hard drive to a different system any easier.  OEMs and Microsoft make it so to reduce/mitigate piracy and reinforce the TOS/EULA governing MS and OEM products.

Backups are useful when done routinely...but a backup here would not help you.  Different systems, different motherboards.  A backup for System A would be useless on System B, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Check the BIOS and change the disk controller mode. The other laptop may have been set to Compatible/IDE and perhaps this one is AHCI?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#7 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

Check the BIOS and change the disk controller mode. The other laptop may have been set to Compatible/IDE and perhaps this one is AHCI?

That's what I thought too, but the other laptop does not have a setting to change it, but i have seen some dv9500t's (the new laptop) have this setting. I've also read that most dv9xxx series laptops with an amd chipset do not need a compatibility mode setting, XP would install/load fine.

In short: Moving a hard drive from a computer with an amd chipset to an inter chipset equals absolute failure (duh). So my backup plan is in action! Buy a new hdd, install windows, then copy my old files to it.

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

It shouldn't be particularly difficult to fix the disk controller driver issue.

Here's a page with a convenient and mostly automated fix using some boot cds to correct the drivers and services: Change Motherboard Without Getting BSOD

Here's the Microsoft KB article describing your problem: Windows XP KB314082 Stop 7B Inaccessible Boot Device after moving drive to another computer

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 08 February 2015 - 12:07 PM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:47 AM

You can not swap out a working drive with windows on it to another computer that has different specs. You will need to re-install the operating system.

Reinstall the Operating System ....Why ?

It can be done , sometimes and various ways.

I recently swapped out a Motherboard on my Plasma TV System PC and booted up - didnt like new Mobo.

So Loaded my previous Acronis Image back onto the drive and "checked" 2nd option for  Acronis Universal Restore.

No issue  - up and running after ten Min .

Edited by Havachat, 13 February 2015 - 05:48 AM.

#10 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

You can not swap out a working drive with windows on it to another computer that has different specs. You will need to re-install the operating system.

Reinstall the Operating System ....Why ?

It can be done , sometimes and various ways.

I recently swapped out a Motherboard on my Plasma TV System PC and booted up - didnt like new Mobo.

So Loaded my previous Acronis Image back onto the drive and "checked" 2nd option for  Acronis Universal Restore.

No issue  - up and running after ten Min .

He did not talk about making an Acronis Image. I too have used an image to restore new drives using the same motherboard. It's a crap shoot when using a different mobo. Some will work some won't. 

#11 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

I just installed Windows 7 and restored a backup. Fixed now.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:40 AM

I just installed Windows 7 and restored a backup. Fixed now.

Good to hear  , and they said it couldnt be done .......well well well ..success again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users