Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Outlook calendar and contacts between 2 PCs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Julia-the-PCGP

Julia-the-PCGP

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to share Outlook 2013 calendar and contacts between 2 computers within a home setting so any changes on one are reflected on the other (though they're unlikely to be making changes at the same time)? It would be on a Windows 7 Professional computer. It's okay for mail to be separate as it syncs with the server using IMAP.

Can this be shared with an ios or Android tablet or smartphone so that both users can see the data?

I have seen some software which offers to sync 2 copies of Outlook, but at $120 is very expensive - are there other options to explore? I've heard that iCloud can sync Outlook with ios devices, but I'm not sure how reliable or thorough this service is in daily use, and would appreciate feedback.

The other components of MS Office, as well as a variety of other programs such as Picassa and Abby Fine Reader for OCR are setup on each PC - and a WD My Book Live is being used for sharing documents and pictures - and music using iTunes.

I do hope you can shed some light on the options available for me to explore. If you need any further information, please do ask.

Kind regards,

Julia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

There are two basic options that I know of:

1) iCloud

The iCloud Windows Control Panel will sync a single calendar between Outlook and iCloud. I don't really know how reliable it is as I don't use it myself (I mainly use a Mac for email/calendar/contacts purposes...I don't currently use my Windows computer for that purpose). I do have it setup for my dad, but he just does not spend much time using it or paying attention to his iPhone for calendar purposes. And he definitely does not use it to sync between two Windows computers running Outlook.

On the plus side, since iCloud is free, you can try it and see how it works.

2) Outlook.com...I believe

I believe you can setup an Outlook.com account to sync a calendar to MS Outlook 2013 on a Windows computer. Then you could just use the Microsoft Outlook app for either Android or iOS to access that same calender on a smartphone or tablet.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

You could also look into Google Calender/gmail as an option. Then it's everywhere.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

Unless your email account is on an Exchange Server, the calendar and contact sharing options are not available in Outlook unless you publish your calendar online to a WebDAV server: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Publish-your-calendar-on-a-WebDAV-server-b2884f2b-8659-4952-850c-b3ad0f701b7e?CorrelationId=935b8fca-2a10-45b8-96a9-ac6ff7394075&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

You may also want to check with your email service provider to see if those options are available through them.

#5 Julia-the-PCGP

Julia-the-PCGP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hi - Thanks for all your replies.

iCloud would only be suitable as a means of seeing the diary on his iPad or iPhones - synchronisation between the 2 Outlook calendars is the key. The Outlook calendar has been used for many years, so has all the entries (many of which are recurring) needed and all the features are setup already.

I've never heard of publishing a calendar on a DAV server, so I'll look at the link - is it easy to setup?

Looking into the email provider's option for sharing sounds worth exploring as I use 1 + 1 using their regular email service and I know they offer an Exchange account for about £10 a month - which I believe is accessed via Outlook. Maybe this service (or another) would allow for sharing of a calendar and contacts between multiple users (rather than trying to sync the 2 PCs local files)?

Julia

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

In order to set up a WebDAV server, you'd need an IIS server, which is probably more trouble than it's worth, in your case.

The hosted Exchange option is probably better. Any Exchange server can link up with Outlook; you'd just need to coordinate with the hosted Exchange provider to get the proper settings to configure Outlook to work with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users