Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Copy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 august22

august22

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

There was a copy of windows 7 home on bleeping computer at one time and it could be downloaded

and installed and use your own Key. This was for people that didnt get a copy of win 7 with their

computers. I need that copy. I have my key for win 7 home. Can someone tell me where to get it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tomunc

tomunc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

Perhaps, as long as you have a viable Key Code, you can download it from here: 

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/10/how-to-download-legal-copies-of-windows-7-for-free/

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

Download the right version that you want as well, x86 (32-bits) or x64 (64-bits).

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2015 - 07:06 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 tomunc

tomunc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Also, remember to burn it to a BOOTABLE disc in the event that your HDD ever crashes and you can't boot up at all. In that event, get into your BIOS and change the #1 Boot option to your CD drive TEMPORARILY.  I say temporarily because once you get straight again you will want to reset your BIOS back to Boot up first from your HDD or it will continue to take longer to boot-up.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

Or he could just go with the "boot menu" and select to boot from his installation media (DVD or USB) straight from there :) If his motherboard supports it, but pretty much every modern one does.

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2015 - 07:07 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Also, remember to burn it to a BOOTABLE disc in the event that your HDD ever crashes and you can't boot up at all. In that event, get into your BIOS and change the #1 Boot option to your CD drive TEMPORARILY.  I say temporarily because once you get straight again you will want to reset your BIOS back to Boot up first from your HDD or it will continue to take longer to boot-up.

What do you mean by burn it to a bootable disk?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

I guess he means to keep a copy of it, a bootable media (DVD or USB), in the future in case you need it for troubleshooting purposes.

unite_blue.png

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

What do you mean by burn it to a bootable disk?

He means that you may need to burn a bootable CD/DVD from an .iso before it can be used to install the O/S and use any tools which may be part of the Windows install .iso file..  A copy of Windows which is not bootable is pretty worthless, IMO...hence the suggestion to burn the .iso file to bootable media.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

You can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the links below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 tomunc

tomunc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

Thank you Louis.

I had been pretty busy working on some other issues and missed the request.

Tom

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#11 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

The first download "win 7" x86  is a bad link. 

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:51 AM

It's alright, I informed dc3 about this yesterday. The DigitalRiverContent Windows 7 .iso doesn't exist anymore, they've been moved.

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 05:27 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

It's not a bad link, Microsoft removed the six downloads for the three different versions of Windows 7 sometime over the last three days.  If you clicked on the link you would have seen that if you have a legal product key you can use this site to download the version you have installed on your computer.  This as I understand it applies to OEM and Retail versions.

I will amend my tutorial to reflect this change so this confusion will not occur again, at least unless Microsoft makes other changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 august22

august22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:34 PM

Thank You Sir

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#15 pachangazz

pachangazz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

I tried to use that site today with a legit OEM product key and the site did not accept the key.  Then I read in the upper right hand corner of the page that the downloads are for purchased copies of Windows from a retail store.  This means to me that unfortunately you can't use an OEM product key.  I wish it weren't true because I don't want to pay another $30 dollars for a set of recovery discs from HP.  I already paid for the right to use Windows 7 Home Premium when I bought the laptop...UGH!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users