Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Yahoo Messenger

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glenny

glenny

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

all of sudden i cannot connect to either yahoo messenger or msn messenger.. this happened after i used ad-ware. i removed the program files on both messengers and re-installed again, ( in case the files got corrupted)still ,when i tried to connect to msn messenger, it states it cannot detect internet connection( though i do have ie connection) and to yahoo it states error 25. did i mess up my connection when i used ad-ware?. if so how can i fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

Have yu tried System Restore?
Start> Program Files> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore
Pick a date just before it happened.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 glenny

glenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

yes, tried it.. but it did not complete the system restore, as nothing has been changed.. . i used ad-watch, after which i noticed this problem.. did i change any register keys?. but if i did. then it would have been reversed in system restore right? well any ideas?

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

What kind of computer do you have? Sometimes if you have a dell you can do a PC Restore. Mind you this restores everything... and I mean everything to factory settings. If you do this, BACK-UP your programs/registry. If you don't have a Dell, try doing a spyware/antivirus scan. Sometimes doing this can fix the problem.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

wait wait!! before you format for 1 small problem, please, try this app>>>>\
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/WinSock_X...nsockxpfix.html

and to finish it off, this one to clean out your temps and cache>>>>
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

the first one repairs some reg keys that got damaged after removing adware using adaware, the second i already explained. i use them regularly to patch up and clean up systems after major infections.
post back to let us know how you made out.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 glenny

glenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

i went to quarantine of ad-aware and did restore on the items, so everything would be as before, nothing.. i then followed snapper's advise.. and still nothing.. i have a dell.. i just don't want to do a pc restore.. i don't want to take that chance.. any ideas?. p.s. what should my connections say in yahoo? i tried different connections, even no connections, still nada..

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Assuming that you can use these two messengers from another computer, have you tried googling Yahoo.com and then logging into your yahoo account? Could it be that the shortcuts you are clicking on are corrupted?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 glenny

glenny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

problem solved.. i deactivated spy doctor and then connected the messenger via no proxies and it worked.. thanks for all your input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users