Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

I have just acquired a slim CD / DVD external Drive for my Windows 8.1 Tablet.  Unfortunately it does not work (although it connects OK) due to a Driver problem, reported by the TroubleShooter.  It says the Driver is the best most up-to-date one available and anyway when I try to reload it the response is 'Driver could not be loaded because a previous version is still in memory (Code 38)'  

I have contacted MS Help Desk (no help despite two long Chats) and the supplier who have asked me to try it out on another machine, which I will do (though if it works I dont see how that helps with my Tablet, which I am using as a Desktop PC).   Incidentially, the TroubleShooter has reported that the Drive is too old to work with USB 3.  Does that mean my Tablet has USB3?   If so it is news to me (but it was only released in UK in the middle of last year so I suppose it is quite possible?)

Does anyone have any ideas about how the Driver problem can be resolved ---- I had thought it was a fairly basic issue but it seems I am wrong about that.

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like you might want to contact the CD/DVD drive manufacturer to get the exact specs on the drive and the connection requirements. It may be that the drive and USB3 are not compatible. There may also be a USB driver which will overcome then problem and allow the port to work in USB2 mode.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:52 AM

look at the port if it is blue it is 3.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Just to add to this it may help if you provide us information regarding the model of the tablet and the dvd drive.  And as Phil suggested... if the PORT on either of the tablet or the dvd drive is BLUE in color than its is USB 3.0.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Update.  My faulty CD/DVD Drive has been replaced by the supplier.  It behaves quite differently to the Drive it replaced but is still not working.  It  is recognised in Devices with an appropriate icon, the light comes on, the tray opens and a disc can be inserted, there are no error messages, the Troubleshooter does not detect any problems (eg. with the Driver, as it did on the other Drive) yet I cannot get it to play, whatever disc (CD or DVD, music, computer files) I insert.  When I click on open or play in a menu (eg.a mouse right click) it ejects the disc (as does eject).

Neither Windows Media Player or VLC recognise the Drive's existence or list the disc's contents or play any of the songs on a music disc.  There is quite a lot of bleeping from the Driver but no sound from any disc.

IT is some years since I used a CD/DVD Drive and I am wondering if there is some basic procedure I have overlooked? 

My mention of USB was a red herring.  I am quite sure now, from what you have told me, that my Tablet does not have U3.

Clayto2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users