Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

Hi guys,
I could use some assistance with the issue my laptop is giving me.

First of, I have an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA, Windows 7.
The first thing that happened was that my laptop wouldnt turn on, with or without the battery, not even with the power supply, it didn't even show the little red light.
I removed the battery and kept the power button pressed down for a few minutes and when I tried turning it on later it worked fine but it kept shutting down instantly after 10 or more minutes, beause of this I cannot run any programs to check what the issue is. What do you suggest?

Also, I have another ASUS Eee PC but different model (1001P, Windows XP).
It's screen and keyboard have been damaged so I kept it for spare parts.
I was thinking of transferring the Memory, Screen and Keyboard from my 1005HA to the 1001P, but I'm not sure if it would cause any issues so I thought of getting some assistance first.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

Machines powering off all by themselves is normally a heat issue.  You might try cleaning out the CPU and Video heat sinks.  Normally they look like a tube with fins all over and you only have to remove the keyboard to access them.

Transferring parts from one laptop to another most likely will not work unless they are very similar, same manufacturer isn't close enough.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

What Kilroy said. Another way to check is using Open Hardware utility (free); have it open while running the machine and monitor your CPU temperature. That will tell you if you are overheating.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

I'll check some tutorial to open and clean inside the pc maybe it will work.
As for transferring the screen, memory and keyboard... the laptops are identical, I also used the spare pc's battery. It's just a different model.

I'll post back when cleaned pc

#5 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

UPDATE
I opened up and cleaned my laptop from inside. The issue improved however, it lasted for about 20 minutes.
Can it be the fan or should I just try to transfer my pc to the broken one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users