Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

drivers for win 7 pro

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:03 AM

using a gigabyte M6ISME S2L Computer,my system won't boot up,and when trying to use system repair.i am told it requires

H/D drivers,but how can one obtain these?. win/driver download tool appears to be for bootable computers only and my second computer runs Vista. Any idea's welcomed !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hi oldbod :)

Are you able to explain us how you ended up being stuck in the Recovery PE (System Repair) and having to load drivers manually? It'll help us pinpoint your exact issue.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:56 PM

yes,computer kept cutting powering off and tracking problem over a period of months, found that dust in the cpu cooler fan was causing it to itermittently

earth and stop !! After finding and rectifying this fault,i thought i would check hard drive and used Seatools disk checker, making a ruddy hash of things !!

I finished up deleting boot partitions and using windows repair it tells me that drivers are missing.Being 89yo,i can only claim brain degeneration, but i will struggle along and learn a bit more about computers before turning up my toes(.Havn't got a great deal of the ready) thats why i am using older computers bought cheaply on the net. Have downloaded a couple of free system restore programs and am now looking for an illustrated tutorial that i can follow. Regards

Jim

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

If you deleted your Windows boot partition, you won't be able to boot into it and the Start-up Repair won't be able to create it as well. Once the Start-up Repair scan is done, choose the option to go back to the menu. From there, select the option to Open a command prompt and enter the following command:

bootrec /fixboot

Once it's done, restart your computer and tell me if it boots normally.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

If the MBR is missing you will need to use a installation disc to access the System Recovery Options and use the Command Prompt to run those commands.  Use the instructions below to create an installation disc.  Once you have created the installation disc use the instruction till you reach step 7b.  Step 7b will open the System Recovery Options, click on Command Prompt.  This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  

Copy and paste bootrec /fixboot, then press enter.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the links below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

dc3, the image links won't work anymore since they have been deleted from DigitalRiverContent (or moved). sari and Toffee informed me about it today.

unite_blue.png

#7 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

thank you  Aura have actually completed all you have suggested and received message some drivers missing cannot proceed!!

Have even downloaded "system rescue disc" clicked on to defalt level,it then it went through a series of manipulation and stopped on command prompt!! This completely lost me,and being out of my league,i am looking for a rescue disc with a  illustrated  tutorial that i

could follow. Failing this perhaps another drive is the only answer, although i would still appreciate the experience in solving the problem which i created. Best wishes Jim

#8 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

For clearly understand, your System works before you had this problem?

Which Hard Drive Manufacturer ?

Have you a bootable Windows DVD?

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

oldbod, can you write word for word the message that you are receiving here so I can take a look at it?

unite_blue.png

#10 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Aura,

At this moment i have disconnected the system whilst trying to make a bootable cd for testdisk,but will run in the next couple of days and will certainely send you a word for word detail on what happens. Many thanks for your continued assistance,Regards,Jim

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

No problem Jim, I'll keep on assisting you until that issue is solved :)

unite_blue.png

#12 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

Hi Aura,

It looks as though the problem might have solved itself,i tried booting up this morning and no matter what i  did only fans started,no bleeps just

silence!! So am taking delivery of another Sata drive probably tomorrow or Saturday.Will let you know the outcome after fitting it !! I cannot understand why it would suddenly give up the ghost ? Any idea's ?

Best wishes

Jim

#13 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

Woahh!! dc3, what an amazing help-review on drivers! ...I would build such post for 30 mins, I guess. Good job my man!

I always do so:
a. Going directly into my mobo's web-page, then grabbing all of the drivers under my Operating System and saving them to my hard disk.
b. Going to, in my case it's my fabulous, outstanding, incomparable and amazing ATI Technologies vendor web-page - then taking the LATEST Catalyst.
...ATI Radeon HD Desktop / Notebook graphics are a totally outstanding and a best-of-the-best from all.

c. Then, afterwards, installing all of (this cr*p) it carefully by priority, one-by-one to my Windows / or Linux distro. No need to test if "all other applications are closed during the initial installations" - Done! Reboots, reboots, reboots.....

And!... nothing is avoiding you to get an amazing IObit Driver Updater freeware application; it will "afterscan" (after your manual installations) and detect and determine if you're needing something else in advance, some component or two. Done!
IObit's application seem to match Auslogics' one on +90%. ...so it's free and beautiful.

That's it! :)
..Luck!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 February 2015 - 11:29 AM.
removed language edit

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

There's way too many possibilities that could lead to your system crashing, and without knowing what you last did on it, I cannot tell. Also, please do not listen to rhino and do not install "IOBit Driver Booster", or any other driver updater. rhino, you really have to stop making such harmful suggestions. Read this.

warning.gifiObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from iObit installed on your system. iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:warning.gifDriver Updater Warning!
I see that you're using a "Driver Updater" program, which can be harmful for your system and is totally useless. I'll explain you how it works under Windows when it comes to drivers, other people might disagree with me, but over the time, I've experienced with so many drivers related issues and these programs that it becames an obvious big no in my head. Think of drivers as "middleman" between the hardware and the software. They are what the software use to communicate with the hardware and vice-versa. When you update your your drivers (except for the GPU ones), you do not really increase their performance at all. You cannot boost an hardware component level over the level it has been conceived on (when you overclock a CPU or a GPU, or even your RAM, the capabilities of overclocking are present on the hardware, just not enabled), so even if you update your drivers, you won't get any real "boost" of performance on your system. When a driver update is released, it's mainly to address a bug or an issue in the precedent driver version. If you didn't encounter a single issue with your current drivers, then you have no need to update them to their latest version. This is because the bug present on these drivers might only affect a certain brand of computer, laptop, when it works with a specific software, service, I/O interaction, etc. In other words, I could relate it to a pretty common expression "Why change it (or upgrade it) if it still works perfectly fine?". Then comes what we call the "Driver Updaters". You'll notice that under Windows, and many other OS, a lot of people create software that tries to tell you that you "need" something. You need something more that you don't have. And this is exactly the case of Driver Updater software. They try to tell you that if you keep all your drivers up to date, your system will run faster and always be performant. And if you understood my explanation above, you'll see that it's not true, hence this is "false advertising". The goal of these software are to make you download them, since they are either paid by the download they have, or they bundle other applications and programs in their installers (which we call foistware). The author of the program is paid by these foistware maker to include their program in his program installer. Therefore, you end up installing one product that contained 3 or 4 others and just "bloated" down your system. Also, most of them will ask you to "pay" in order to unlock more benefits or better updates, which is totally false. Drivers updates are totally free from your hardware manufacturer website or your computer/laptop manufacturer website. And this brings anothing point, we don't know where these programs downloads their drivers from. Are they really downloading the drivers they say they download and install? Are they really downloading them from the manufacturer's website? Who knows. There's been some tests that have been done by other reputable websites, like HowToGeek, who tested these Driver Update programs. On a fresh installation of Windows, with the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, the program would report that tons of drivers were outdated and needed to be updated. How is it possible? It's not, it's just inventing that in order to push you to use the software and ultimately buy it. In a whole, you could say these software as a big scam. The same goes for "PC Boosters", "PC Optimizers", "Registry Cleaners" (which are dangerous to use by the way), etc. It looks like I have a total hate of these programs and I'll be honest, I do. But I'm not hating for no reason on them, I'm hating on them because I know them, I know how they "work", I know that they don't work like they say and overall, I know that they cause way more issues than they solve. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall any "Driver Updater" program you currently have installed, for the well-being of your system.

unite_blue.png

#15 oldbod

oldbod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

Well Aura,

Received new drive on Sat morn,install went very easy with no probs.The biggest bother was validifying same,had to do it over the telephone and years in a ships engine room left me very poor hearing!! Using a hearing aid does't help,picks up all sorts of extra noise and crackles. Many thanks for all your assistance,

Kind regards

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users