Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub failed on/after Ubuntu upgrade attempt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T410.  When I bought it, about two years ago, it had Windows 7 Professional installed.  I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from a bootable flash drive "Live" system as a dual-boot system.  Everything worked properly, and I've been happily using it ever since.

Today I tried to upgrade it to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  The last time I upgraded Ubuntu, on an Acer netbook, something went wrong and I wound up reformatting the drive and making a fresh install.  This was only a minor aggrevation, since I had backed up everything.

Because I need to keep the Windows 7 available, I made another bootable flash drive.  I booted from it and chose to install Ubuntu.  The very top option was to have Ubuntu 14.04 replace Ubuntu 12.04 and keep Windows 7.  This was exactly what I wanted, so I selected it and proceeded with the install.  Everything appeared to go normally.  When I got to the end I got a screen message that the computer would have to restart for the changes to take effect.  I expected that, and clicked to restart.

When the laptop restarted I did not get my expected boot menu.  Instead, I got a completely blank screen with white letters in the system font:

error: file not found.

grub rescue> _

I booted from the USB again and went through the same install procedure (it did report that Windows 7 was still there).  Once again, it appeared to go normallly, but when I restarted I got the same error.

Is it possible to "repair" Grub?  Can it be re-installed from the bootable usb?

Most importantly, is there a way to save Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

Hello, Create a bootable disk of Boot-Repair and select Recommended Repair.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thanks very much!  I'll give that a shot tonight and report back here.

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

Just a heads up, if you use the default settings in boot-repair some information about you system is put into a text paste, and uploaded to the internet (intended to be helpful). Nothing to worry about, but if you're overly concerned about your privacy you might want to use custom settings.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

Sorry for the extreme delay.  I got detoured by a family emergency, and then when I was able work on this I got distracted by the process and forgot that I'd promised to get here and report on the results.

The Boot Repair worked.  Perfectly.  In just a few minutes I hadmy boot menu back.

Windows 7 survived the experience in great shape.  No problems.

Ubuntu was a mess.  A couple of odd bits of data survived (my wifi password was still there, and it remembered my network printer) but nearly everything else was wiped out.  All the programs I had installed were gone.  All of my word processing files, all my spreadsheet files, my ebook (Calibre) library, my MP3s ... all gone.

Now, this was not a devastating tragedy.  I back-up on a regular basis, and I backed up everything prior to attempting the upgrade ... just in case ... but, still, getting the Cinnamon desktop back, getting the various programs back, getting everything configured back the way it was ... was a real pain in the butt.  It was almost like dealling with a new installation, except even more work.

Anyway, it's back, and I really do appreciate the help!

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

And, thanks, hollowface.  I don't like being monitored, but I'm okay with some information getting out.  I figure that in cases like this, I'm benefiting from others' experience, so I can share mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users