Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer keeps restarting or shutting down on its own

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 smilam2

smilam2

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

For over a week now, my sons computer (this computer) keeps shutting itself down or restarting in middle of playing games, within ten minutes of playing.  It seems to do this any time i play any game, but not when im on youtube, or steam, or browsing etc.  Can someone help me determine whether it is software problem or hardware problem or something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

double clicking the executable file brought up another screen, but its not scanning anything after several tries.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

What do you mean "it's not scanning anything"?

#5 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

this is after an hourAttached File  nothing.jpg   102.74KB   0 downloads

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Okay, so it scans but it doesn't show any results. Got it. Two things please:

1) Look in device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

2) Please go to the website of the manufacturer of your display adapter and download and install the latest driver (if it's a laptop, obtain the driver from the website of the laptop manufacturer)

#7 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

Nothing is Yellow or red and my driver got its most recent update on the 31st, it can't get a new one.

#8 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Let me clarify this if this helps at all, Last saturday or so before i got the drivers update my computer was Shutting itself down and it would say "Entering Power Saving Mode" and i'd have to return it back on, it kept doing this and i turned off my power cable and unhooked my computerscreen and powersupply a few times but it kept doing this till on the "Windows failed to shutdown Properly" screen i had to click Delete Restoration Data instead of Run Windows Normally. Then after i got the drivers update it was fine then monday it started doing this again but it wasn't shutting itself down it was doing a Restart but i have no updates or viruses. Atleast thats what Malware Bytes says.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

Okay - the full story would have helped the first time. Exactly how did you get the new drivers?

#10 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

It said i needed a important update to my driver. It must have came out the same day i updated it because normally i get spammed for a new update so i do it right away.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

WHAT said you needed an important update? Please, give us ALL of the details. Remember, you can see what's on your screen - we can't :)

#12 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

After it was shutting down non stop like i said it said i needed a important drivers update after it took like half a hour to do i didn't have any crashing for the next day or rest of the night But on monday it started doing restarts not shut downs.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

You're not answering the question. WHAT told you that you needed a driver update? WHAT drivers did you update? HOW did you update them (from where did you get them).

PLEASE - your one sentence responses aren't helpful. Please provide as much detail as you can. Thank you.

#14 smilam2

smilam2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

from device manager, i checked to update the display adapter,  network adapter,processors, and sound, video and game controllers, but nothing had a new update, everything was updated already.  Few days prior to this i did windows update, i think there was an update in there for one of them.  And iobit said it updated drivers recently but i dont know which ones. my son has no idea where or what gave him the notification about the driver, all he knows is that it was an exclamation point on the shutdown button.

Edited by smilam2, 07 February 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Okay. You should NEVER get drivers from Microsoft Update and certainly not from iobit or any 3rd party utility. Additionally, Device Manager is not your best bet. I suggest you do the following:

1) Use system restore to revert to a date before you installed any drivers

2) Assuming you are on a desktop system, go to the websites of each of your hardware component manufacturers, download their most recent drivers, and install them "manually". Also check for a new chipset driver and bios update. If you are on a laptop, obtain ALL drivers from the website of your laptop manufacturer.

After doing all of the above, let's see where we are.

Edited by Allan, 07 February 2015 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users