Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iolo System Mechanic 14 Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mel163

mel163

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

I've read in reviews that IOLO has some compatibility issues with other anti-virals. Before I purchase Iolo's System Mechanic 14, can anyone tell me if it's going to cause problems with Norton Internet Security. Obviously, Iolo has no information regarding this problem.

I am currently running Windows 8.1 64 bit OS. Thanks in advance for any help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi mel :)

To be honest, I would avoid buying any of these "PC Booster" programs like Iolo's one. You don't need such software under Windows and to be honest, your system will run WAY better without that program installed. Everything these programs do, you can do it manually under Windows. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Also, a lot of these programs add completely useless, even dangerous features such as Registry cleaners and "driver updaters". To tell you the truth, if you were to buy Iolo System Mechanic, you would just be wasting your money. I worked on a lot of computers which Windows systems were broken due to using such software so I've seen them all. There's not a single "PC Booster" program that is worth using, the best you can use, is yourself.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Amen to Aura's summation.

Save your money. Snake oil treatments are invariably just that

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

System Mechanic is a comprehensive optimization suite by iolo that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, a registry revitalizer (to fix "so called problems"), system optimizer and several other features.

System Mechanic Pro incorporates the same optimization suite but also purports to plug security holes and protect privacy, and includes System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc. I cannot find any which have tested System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware. I would be skeptical of any vendor not participating in comparative testing. As such, I would recommend replacing System Shield with a more reputable anti-virus solution.

System Mechanic 14 also purports to repair Window's registry, fix common PC problems and optimize setting as well as tweaking CPU and RAM usage in real time.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. I also would not trust any detection alerts for viruses or other malware.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

I forgot to mention that System Mechanic 14 also includes a junk file cleaner which (from what I read) does not advise exactly what it is going to delete so you have no idea what is being removed. Be careful with that feature if you intend to keep this program.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

So I decided to take a look at the "features" offered by Iolo System Mechanics, and is it me or around 75% of these are just totally made up or not even needed?

LiveBoost™ boosts system responsiveness through real-time calibration of CPU, RAM and Drive.
Stability Guard™ intercepts stability threats to keep Windows fast and problem-free.
ActiveCare® uses set-and-forget patented technology to maintain your PC automatically
AcceleWrite® real time technology optimizes file write speeds
Program Accelerator™ re-aligns disjointed program files.
EnergyBooster™ puts your PC in overdrive for max performance.

And these are only the main features presented for the product.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

None of those features not the ones I noted above are needed.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

I can't understand exactly what you mean by that. I've read the sentence over and over again but I still can't :/
Also, just to give you an example mel, all these programs offers features that can be easily replaced by others that requires no installation:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
And these aren't even all the features of Iolo System Mechanics. All the programs I recommended are free to install and also aren't always needed. You don't need to repair your hard drive everyweek, nor every month. If you have bad sectors on it, a chkdsk /r will take care of it. If you can't repair it, then the drive is most likely failing and it's not Iolo that will fix it. Driver Updater aren't even worth using as they can be really dangerous, oh and, having your drivers constantly updated won't boost the performance of your system over the current hardware capability. I could continue for a while on that but I think you get the point :)

tl;dr: Don't buy any kind of PC Booster program, they are pure scam.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

I can't understand exactly what you mean by that. I've read the sentence over and over again but I still can't

It doesn't make sense to me either...not sure what happened when I copied and pasted my reply from notepad.

I meant to write...None of those features (you listed), including the ones I noted above, are needed.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

I can't understand exactly what you mean by that. I've read the sentence over and over again but I still can't

It doesn't make sense to me either...not sure what happened when I copied and pasted my reply from notepad.

I meant to write...None of those features (you listed), including the ones I noted above, are needed.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who didn't understand :P And yes exactly :)

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

Windows has many built-in tools which users seldom use or even know about yet they are willing to pay money for unnecessary programs which do the same thing.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Windows has many built-in tools which users seldom use or even know about yet they are willing to pay money for unnecessary programs which do the same thing.

Is there any tutorial or compiled guide on BleepingComputer that present these built-in tools and how to use them?

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

There is no master index. You have to Search Tutorials, search the Tutorials Forum, or Mini guides and how-tos.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

There is no master index. You have to Search Tutorials, search the Tutorials Forum, or Mini guides and how-tos.

It seems that a few built-in utilities are covered, such as Disk Clean-up, Check Disk, etc. but some aren't. I'll see if I can write up easy to follow tutorials for the others and compile them into one canned that I'll use when replying to such questions in the future.

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Ok.