Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft says contact Gateway, Gateway says hold... over 3hrs and counting!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Ok, I'm trying to get a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit boot repair disk. I have all the reinstall disks to do a back to factory settings that was purchased from Gateway(Acer) but I do not have a boot repair disk to fix the "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"  on the BSOD.  I tried to contact Microsoft and provided the Product key on the laptop, but was informed that I would have to contact the manufacturer because it was a preloaded Windows 7. I think it is wrong of them not to help since it is their OS that is causing the problem. But none the less I tried contacting Gateway but after holding for an eternity and never actually getting a human only to be disconnected it is getting very frustrating! :smash:

After finally figuring out how to reach the BSOD (never thought I would be glad about getting the BSOD)ha) to see the information it supplied. Then finally finding out for sure I have the 64 bit, all I need now is the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, with out the Service Pack 1 attached to it. 

Unless I have been misinformed on another site and I CAN use the 7 Home Premium SP1 to boot from. Will I mess up my chance of booting the laptop back to life and out of the endless loop if I use the SP1? I don't want to make matters worse since I do not think it was updated with the service pack before it got stuck looping on the Windows Error Recovery Screen. I still can not get to any files in any of the usual ways...as in F8 , Alt/F10 or any of the other ways to see if it was updated or not. I just assume since the owner of the laptop does not seem like the kind to update the OS with the SP1. But I am not positive whether they did or did not do an update, nor can I look to see since I can't get to the files. Oh I might add I already tried to use the reinstall disks, but after it seemed to go through all the process of loading the 4 disks plus the system disk and language disk and reboots, it goes right back to the Windows Error Recovery screen and loops to that screen over and over and over! :deadhorse: (No I can not use F8 to turn off the automatic restart, I got the blue screen to show by a different way). I hope someone would be so kind as to help!!

Thanks!

LuLu the Hillbilly :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

You appear to have a legal product key, you can down load a copy of what you need from the site below.

http://superuser.com/questions/78761/where-can-i-download-windows-7-legally-from-microsoft

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

You appear to have a legal product key, you can down load a copy of what you need from the site below.

http://superuser.com/questions/78761/where-can-i-download-windows-7-legally-from-microsoft

Is this for a boot disk? Because I only need a boot disk. Also, I think the digitalrivercontent is the website that Microsot told me my "preinstalled" product key would not work. At least that is what they told me when I typed in my Key. They told me to contact my manufacturer to get help. :scratchhead: I'll give it a try. If it don't work, I'll just toss the dvd. Thanks for your help!

#4 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

Since you are using the factory recovery media and are getting that particular blue screen, I would suggest that you check your bios settings for the disk controller mode. There are usually two options, compatible/ide/legacy or ahci/raid/enhanced. Try changing this setting and see if the blue screen changes or if Windows boots.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

One of my lap tops is an Acer, if you have the two disks that came with you should be able make them work.  Have you tired reversing the order, I had that issue someone said swap the order and WaLa!! 

As long as you have a valid KEY you can down load from Digitalriver

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users