Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem connecting two simultaneous networks TCP/IP - NWLink IPX/SPX

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 animateme

animateme

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I am trying to setup two separate network connections, using two separate network cards, on a Windows XP computer.    One connection will be for a TCP/IP Windows based network (with internet access) and the other will be for a NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS, (DOS based) Novell type network.

I have installed both NICs but the problem I am having is that when both networks are connected at the same time, the TCP/IP Windows based network connects fine but the NWLink IPX/SPX network does not connect.   However, if I unplug the cable of the TCP/IP Windows based network, then the NWLink IPX/SPX network connects fine.

I assume that the TCP/IP Windows connection is causing some kind of conflict somehow with the other connection and that is why it is not allowing it to connect.

I have tried disabling the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol in the Connection Properties for the TCP/IP Windows connection and have also tried changing the Network Connection Bindings but it does not make any difference.

Would there be anything that I can try to troubleshoot where the issue is?   Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

" I have tried disabling the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol in the Connection Properties for the TCP/IP Windows"

NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS should not be installed on the tcp interface.  Or do you mean NetBIOS over tcp/ip?  That can be disabled

I am surprised you aren't using Microsoft's NETBUEI instead if you want a "dos" network.  No frame type, ect required

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041

Edited by Wand3r3r, 05 February 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#3 animateme

animateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

I am not sure about the NETBUEI protocol, we have used this current configuration for years but now is the first time that we are trying to connect the two networks to this WinXP computer.

Here are the screen captures for the configurations. As you can see, this is Windows in Spanish but you should be able to figure it out (if not, please let me know and I will translate).

This is the setup for the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS, (DOS based) Novell type network:
iyo7x2.jpg

This is the setup for the  TCP/IP Windows based network:
6o249x.jpg

Thank you.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:21 PM

The subnet mask looks wrong on the IPX/SPX. should be 255.255.255.0 not 255.255.255.128

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 animateme

animateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

I originally had the 255.255.255.0 subnet but someone suggested that the two networks be on different subnets. Either way, with any of the two subnets, i could not get the two networks to connect simultaneously.

Should the two networks be on 255.255.255.0 ?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:07 PM

that is the mask...it's what determines which is network and which is hosts. That mask and IP work if it matches the rest of the network. Is that the subnet mask of the router it's connected to?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

" someone suggested that the two networks be on different subnets"

They are two different subnets 192.168.10.x and 192.168.1.x  The subnet mask, which is what we are talking about with the .128 entry, doesn't matter.  There is no right subnet mask.  There can be wrong ones that don't include the gateway ip being used, but that doesn't matter when you have two separate networks.

Like I said in my first post you shouldn't have tcp/ip enabled on the netware lan.  You put the same protocols on both interfaces.  Then you went deeper in the quagmire with listing a tcp/ip gateway on both interfaces.  That makes Windows insane!  It has to choose one gateway.

Is there a reason you are putting tcp/ip on the netware network?  Clearly if running netware you are running a pre tcp/ip version which if I recall was like version 3 which is why I have to wonder why you are putting the protocols on both interfaces. 

#8 animateme

animateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

that is the mask...it's what determines which is network and which is hosts. That mask and IP work if it matches the rest of the network. Is that the subnet mask of the router it's connected to?

Yes, that is the subnet mask configured on on the router for this network.

#9 animateme

animateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

" someone suggested that the two networks be on different subnets"

They are two different subnets 192.168.10.x and 192.168.1.x  The subnet mask, which is what we are talking about with the .128 entry, doesn't matter.  There is no right subnet mask.  There can be wrong ones that don't include the gateway ip being used, but that doesn't matter when you have two separate networks.

Like I said in my first post you shouldn't have tcp/ip enabled on the netware lan.  You put the same protocols on both interfaces.  Then you went deeper in the quagmire with listing a tcp/ip gateway on both interfaces.  That makes Windows insane!  It has to choose one gateway.

Is there a reason you are putting tcp/ip on the netware network?  Clearly if running netware you are running a pre tcp/ip version which if I recall was like version 3 which is why I have to wonder why you are putting the protocols on both interfaces. 

I have tried setting the gateway on both interfaces to the same 192.168.1.1 but it did not make a difference with the issue.    The reason for having the TCP/IP protocol on the Netware network is that if I disable it, there is no connection at all.  This network does require this TCP/IP protocol to connect, for some reason.    Any idea why?   Thanks.

#10 animateme

animateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

I finally solved this by putting both networks on the same hub, connected to a single NIC and using the same subdomain.   Go figure... it was that simple!
Thank you all for you help.  Greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users