Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista x64 SP 2 Repair, Boot from DVD won't recognize OS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Max Lynn

Max Lynn

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

When I boot to my Windows Vista SP1 DVD that I used to load my OS, and select Repair, and then select my OS from the list, I get a message that says the disk and the OS are not compatible. I've tried several versions of SP1 and SP2 disks, with no luck. Any suggestions on how to get a DVD to work in Repairing this system would be helpful. Just to note, the SP 2 disks I try seem ok to repair the other loads of windows I have, which are 32-bit, but not the 64-bit load I am having issues with.

I'm having issues with windows and want to do a repair. Explorer has no file names, no column headers except "Author", no search capabilities and a couple other issues. I've done complete virus checking and found nothing significant. The drive looks fine from other OS loads on this machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

do not select repair on the first screen,

when the cd boots up and asks you what you want to do select install windows,

on the second screen you select repair

**** if there is no repair option on the second screen do NOT proceed with the installation!!!!

it also might help if you describe the problem you are having in greater detail, will the computer boot and run fine in safe mode?

#3 Max Lynn

Max Lynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

I didn't want to distract people's attention from the issue: getting repair to run.

Here is the full description, nobody knows how to fix it, I've wasted a huge number of hours trying to fix this.

I plugged a friends Seagate Expansion drive (SRD00F1) into my machine's usb port, Windows Vista started to load the drivers and then says success. I went to My Computer and the machine can't see the drive. After this I started to see the following occurring:

1) Explorer shows no filenames or folder names. If I click on the file to rename, the name is there, but when I close that, the name disappears.
2) All the normal column names in Explorer details view are gone, "Author" is the only one showing. All of the common ones are unavailable when I try to choose details by right clicking the column header, Filename, Size, Date Created/Accessed/Modified etc...
3) Many windows won't open, specifically Control Panel windows like "Backup and Restore Center", System, regedit.exe.
4) The "Start Search" feature of the Start Bar returns nothing. I found out later, No searches work.
5) In My computer the sizes of the drives and free space are in bytes, not KB or MB.
I've tried running SFC many times, SFC says errors fixed, but the CBS.log is repeating the same errors every time.
Any assistance on identifying this issue would be greatly appreciated.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

i repeat.....will it run fine in safe mode?

#5 Max Lynn

Max Lynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Yes, it runs in safe-mode.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

did you do as i suggested in my first post?

#7 Max Lynn

Max Lynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Yes, and there is no option to repair.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

do a system restore to a point previous to when the problem occured

#9 Max Lynn

Max Lynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

I've done a System Restore, and was quite surprised that the issue persisted.

#10 Max Lynn

Max Lynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

Close this ticket. No useful replies, so I'd prefer you delete it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users