Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive not visible in explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amja

amja

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

I was playing an audio file from my external hard drive when the usb cord disconnected.  After reconnecting, the computer makes a sound indicating the drive is recognized, but it does not appear in Windows.  Lovely.  So I went through the Device Manager (where the device is visible) and tried disabling/enabling, uninstalling/reinstalling.  No success in gaining access to the drive through explorer.  I opened Disk Management in Computer Management and here is where I stand, staring at my now unallocated drive.  The drive is full of data that I can't lose, which makes me hesitant to take action in Disk Management (The harmless ~assign drive letter~ option doesn't appear to be available). I guess I will just attach some screen caps and then see if anyone wants to walk me through the best solution to regain access to my drive without compromising my files.  

Just to be clear, I'm running Windows 8.1 and don't have access to another computer.

Thanks in advance and let me know if there if any more information is needed.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  3.png   175.02KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   134.92KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  1.png   152.42KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the External Drive. Download and run USBdeview. Delete any mention of your external drive. It will also show any old devices that have been installed. You can delete any Vendor Specific device that is not your mouse, keyboard, network adapter, or printer. Reboot the computer and attach the external drive. Is it detected?

If using USBdeview does not work, download Partition Find and Mount. Let it do a Fast Scan first If it does not find anything do the Normal scan. If it finds any partitions, it will let you mount them as a virtual drive. Then you can copy your data over to your internal drive.

If Partition Find and Mount does not work then we will try TestDisk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 February 2015 - 02:22 PM.

#3 amja

amja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:30 AM

Thank you for your response.  USBdeview didn't solve my issue, nor did the Fast Scan in Partition Find and Mount.  I'm now about to do a normal scan, and I will update as soon as that is complete.  

#4 amja

amja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Normal Scan did not find anything.  Is it worth investing potentially several hours in the "Thorough Scan" Option?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

I would not do the thorough scan. Download TestDisk for Windows. V 6.14, v7 is beta. Unzip the to a folder on your desktop. Run Testdisk. The naming convention for hard drives is different. For your external it would probably be sdb. Go through the steps shown here. When you get to the Window that gives you the option for Advanced. Select that. Does it say if your Boot Sector is damaged and if it is does is the Backup Boot Sector okay?

Menus.gif

Backup_bs.gif

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 February 2015 - 09:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users