Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should People Know How Computers Work?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

Right my question is if everyday users actually KNOW how to use and handle their pcs/latops.???

To be honest Im fed up for instance with my housemates who think they r cool because of their dell laptops but dont have the slightest clue as to maintaining their laptops or even know how to keep it up to date.
To me pcs are like cars!!!! If u drive a car then you should basically know how to repair( a tyre) or maintain your car in gd condition(cleaning, checking oil etc). The same with pcs. I think that people should make an effort to know some basics as to knowing what can screw your pc up and how to make sure this doesnt happen.

I know ( from HCI ) that users use pcs for theier own personal reasons and that us pros or whatever should understand this...... but I dont!!!!
We, Microsoft or whatever should make an effort to show that there is more to turning on your pc and shutdown!!!!!!

Because to be honest I cant think of another thing that you can have (software,hardware,electronics,etc) and have no clue as to how it works( basics) and how to make sure that this thing doesnt crash on you!!!!!!!

Hope to hear from all you guys!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:
MathsDude

PS: The poeple I really hate r the noobs who buy macbooks and ipods to make themselves look cool cos they think that those r the best things to own but little do they know how to use them!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Yes people should know how to keep their pc running. Tell them to come to this forum and read. You can get personal data taken without knowing how to keep yourself safe online. Many just dont know that.

Also about the ipods. Ipods are old news as far as features goes. I think almost any other ipod is cooler looking and has more features than any ipod apple makes.

Stay safe online! Learn all you can and ask questions.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

I think part of the problem is that the industry doesn't make enough of an effort to educate the people who are purchasing their products. They provide a means of clearing histoies, cookies, and defragging, but make no suggestion as to periodic maintenance, I guess they expect there to be the same type of grandfathered knowledge that has almost become intuitive in nature about automobile maintenance.

Just wait until your friends' computers start slowing down, and then explain to them how the hdd works, and how the different sectors get cluttered, and how in turn this slows down the computer. At this point you pull out your gun with its' silver bullet, and kill the time consuming monster...that should read "defrag their hdd and amaze them with what speed can be returned.

But also like cars, there are types of maintenance that the average person will not be prepared to undertake, like cleanning out the registry, yes there are software tools out there for this, but at this point some of them still cause bigger problems.

I have more to add to this, but unfortunately I have to go earn my keep.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

I think that has prooved that im not the only one to believe what i said to some extent!!!!!

Thanks guys for your replies.......

PS: Its gonna be a hard job trying to denoobify the world!!!!!!!! But if my gf knows the basics of maintaining her lappie then any1 can :thumbsup:
Its all a case of showing people these things

:flowers:
MathsDude
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:29 AM

Hi all.

I certainly agree that the more you know about the workings of your PC, the less likely you are to stuff it up. However, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing - as I have found out.

The best solution would be to spread the word about this greatest little spot in the universe and advise all your friends, and enemies, to join up and they can each take as much, or as little, as they need or want from Bleeping Computer.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:23 AM

I certainly agree that the more you know about the workings of your PC, the less likely you are to stuff it up. However, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing - as I have found out.

Remeber the adage "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"?

For those that are so brazen as to think that they know it all, a little taste of reality can be a good cure.

Edited by dc3, 26 June 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:19 AM

Not quite sure what u mean dc3???????

Nice quote though!!!!

R u implying that noobs who think they know it all will coming crashing along with their pc ( of course ) ?????

#8 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

Nice quote though!!!!

R u implying that noobs who think they know it all will coming crashing along with their pc ( of course ) ?????

i think they mean that those who are very comfortable with their computers can be so comfortable to a point where they are messing with things that should not be messed with. the registry comes to mind right now. . . i hear its very easy for even an experienced user to make a tiny mistake and do alot of damage.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

Nice quote though!!!!

i think they mean that those who are very comfortable with their computers can be so comfortable to a point where they are messing with things that should not be messed with. the registry comes to mind right now. . . i hear its very easy for even an experienced user to make a tiny mistake and do alot of damage.

That's part of it, and the analolgy about the registry is an appropriate one, you can repair or get to a last good configuration after most mishaps, but usually not with the registry, something as simple as one typo in the information you enter into the registry could leave you with a very badly damaged OS.

As far as "coming crashing down along with their pc", it's more like a little wounded ego may make the overly confident person a little more cautious in the future, we would hope anyway.

Edited by dc3, 26 June 2006 - 10:36 AM.

#10 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Totally agree with u there. I remember screwing up the registry on my old pc in Cyprus and boy it turned out ugly. And to be honest I wasnt a total noob but also i wasnt an advanced user as well. I shouldnt of done anything to be honest. So i guess any1 can muck things up if they a get a false sense of security!!!!!

But the thing is should we be to blame for part of this problem?? I mean at the end of the day we may call someone a noob but shouldnt we teach them instead of calling them stupid??????
I know the registry is such a sensitive issue but beside that i think people who have pcs should make an effort to learn some more things and i think we in return should make more of an effort to help people out by teaching people rather than having to do the dirty work once someone has mucked up their pc or etc..... and not go through the problems with the user

:thumbsup:
MathsDude

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:46 AM

While I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed above, it has to be remembered that with computers, as with any other subject you care to name, it is "Different strokes for different Folks".

There are those who love their machines and will load them up with a good Firewall, AntiVirus, and as much anti-malware as they think they need. Others are not the slightest bit interested as long as things keep clicking along, and when they don't they end up here or somewhere similar, which is fine too.

I guess there are millions in between who would like to know more, and that is what I understand is one of the main functions of 'BC' and I for one am certainly glad this forum exists.

Keep up the good work. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

When one purchases an automobile, one gets a rather thick booklet; even when buying a lawnmower, one gets some twenty pages of instructions for troubleshooting and maintenance. Many computers, unfortunately come with little but a chart showing how to connect the peripherals.
Now I do not know how to change the oil (at least in practice) but I do know that the oil must be changed on a scheduled basis, and I know how to fill the washer fluid and check the transmission fluid.
The point I would like to make is that most computers do not really come with the kind of information a new user should know, and rely instead on various help files for Windows and any applications that are installed. Certainly, all new computers should include some kind of security checklist and a general description of best practices in that area, as well as some kind of maintenance checklist with brief descriptions of how to use the many Windows utilities.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

the problem with instruction manuals is...... who actually reads them?
You can put loads of instructions in with a pc, but people in this day and age WILL NOT read them. That is the problem.
You can buy a car, but if you haven't passed your driving test..... you can't drive it!!! mmmmm what makes computers any different????
I agree that something should be done to encourage people to learn about their 'pride and joy' but people being people, they just won't bother. (until something goes wrong)

BBPP6nz.png

#14 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:55 AM

LOL im glad my car example has caught on!!!!!!
I only mentioned cars cos i was looking at one :thumbsup:
But it is true that we can compare pcs with anything.

And i agree with the fact that no1 bothers to read manuals!!!! My first pc came with 2 videos on how windows works bt never bothered n then my pc crashed a year after :flowers:

#15 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

Whether people will read manuals or not is beside the point when they do not even have that option. I certainly agree that most people would not, for example, read 600 pages of documentation, but they would read a 50 page booklet if it were well-written and geared towards the average user.
That good documentation is lacking, and needed, is evidenced by the hugh success of the "(Any software) for Dummies" series.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users