Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Registry Cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tupenix

tupenix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:47 AM

which registry cleaner do you use? or which one is safest/most efficient?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:52 AM

CCleaner appears to be as safe as any.

Of course, make a backup before you use any program that can midify the registry.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

I don't use any registry cleaners, and in the 4+ yrs I've had this computer I've not found any reason to use one.
If you don't have a specific problem with the Registry, it's best you stay out of it, as improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.

And as Enthusiast mentioned, ALWAYS backup the Registry BEFORE making ANY changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:15 AM

tg1911 , you say you have had no reason to use reg cleaners,but aren't bits of programs left in the registry after uninstalling? (even with add/remove programs)
How else are we to remove these ? (i know you can manually edit the reg, but i choose not to do this as i don't know what i'm doing)
Thank you for the replies.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

The little bits and pieces in your registry are insignificant, and the problems you can cause by mucking around in the registry are serious. Do not use any registry cleaner unless you are absolutely confident you can review each entry candidated for deletion before pressing the magic button. As an experiment a few months ago, I used CCleaner, and did NOT review the entries. Upon restarting my computer, several applications ceased to function or did not function correctly until I restored the registry.
If you are seeking to improve computer performance, there are other things you can do that will provide more "bang for the buck."
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

you say you have had no reason to use reg cleaners,but aren't bits of programs left in the registry after uninstalling? (even with add/remove programs)

Yes, but a lot of that can be eliminated with the use of programs like Total Uninstall, which monitors the installation of programs.
It keeps track of all files, .dll's, Registry entries, etc., that were created during the installation of any programs.
Then when I uninstall a program I use Total Uninstall instead of Add/Remove, and it removes all entries/files that were created during install.

How else are we to remove these ? (i know you can manually edit the reg, but i choose not to do this as i don't know what i'm doing)

I haven't seen any definitive proof that cleaning the Registry improves performance, and in my opinion the risks far outweigh the benifits.
If you were to Google for problems caused by Registry cleaners, you'd have enough reading to keep you busy for quite a while. :thumbsup:
The Registry is definitely one of those instances where "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.
If you do decide to use a Registry cleaner, be sure the product includes both a full "Undo" for a session and the ability to "Undo" individual changes.

Additional reading:
Why I donít use registry cleaners
Registry cleaners often cause more problems

Here's a test an individual did on a clean system with 13 Registry cleaners.
This shows just how much the results of different cleaners can vary.
For me, this is just too inconsistent.
Which one is cleaning necessary items?
Which is cleaning unnecessary items?
Which one works better than the other?
Which one has a better average (necessary vs unnecessary)?
Too many questions.
Safest Cleaner

Besides, if I'm not mistaken (If I'm wrong, someone correct this), the Registry is only 20 - 30 KB in size.
I don't think any reduction in size, due to a cleaning, would be that noticeable performance wise.

To sum it all up, I don't think Registry cleaners are worth the risk of turning your computer into a doorstop.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:45 PM

Besides, if I'm not mistaken (If I'm wrong, someone correct this), the Registry is only 20 - 30 KB in size.
I don't think any reduction in size, due to a cleaning, would be that noticeable performance wise.

To sum it all up, I don't think Registry cleaners are worth the risk of turning your computer into a doorstop.

I exported a copy of my registry & the file was over 50 MBs.
See this link--

This Link- click here

This screenshot shows the seperate files amount.

About half of the Exported file size.

Edited by medab1, 25 June 2006 - 03:10 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

If you don't have a specific problem with the Registry, it's best you stay out of it, as improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.

I concur, TQ. I've always said that the best way to clean the registry was to do a clean install of Windows. I once made the mistake of using Toni Arts registry cleaner and I got to do the re-install, so I can say that in that sense, registry cleaners work. :-)

Edited by Herk, 25 June 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#9 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

Fair comment,i will stop using my reg cleaners (i guess i've been lucky so far)
I will also try Total Uninstall.

#10 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Tg1911, can you give me any advice on how to use Total Uninstall? (as i don't really understand it) i have looked at the read me file.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

Run Total Uninstall.
When it opens, enter the name of the program you're installing at the top.
Click Next.
In the next window that appears, click Next again (I use the Default settings).
It'll now scan your system.
When it's through with the scan, another window will open.
At the top, on the right, click Browse and navigate to where the program installer is located.
Click Next and install the program.
When the installation is complete, Total Uninstall will continue by rescanning.
When it's finished, it will list all of the changes made by the new installation.
After you've reviewed these, just click Exit.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users