Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermittently my monitor says 'No Signal Detected'

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

Windows 7 64 bit Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost
RAM 16.0GB
PSU CORSAIR CX750
CPU Intel Quad Core i7-2600K
Sound Card Soundblaster Z

Hi Guys

As of about 6 months ago in the morning, when I turned on my PC sometimes the monitor would say...'No Signal Detected'. Then go on 'Stand By'. I tried all sorts of things. Like...

Switching the monitor on and off

Unplugging it and re-plugging it to the PC

Rebooting the PC

Switching the PC fully off, then on again

Eventually the monitor would come on and all would be fine, until either the next day or a few days later. Then I would go through the whole scenario again and again. Until eventually nomatter what I did it wouldn't come on at all.

So I thought I'll try hooking up a spare TV I wasn't using. It came on straight away. But the screen was smaller than I wanted for playing on line games. So I decided to buy a new monitor. I plugged it in and that too came on straight away. My thought was the old monitor must have become faulty. Thinking I might take the back off and have a look at it sometime, I kept it.

A few months later and the new monitor started doing the same thing as the older one had done. So, for no reason, other than a whim, I thought I'll try putting the older one in again. Straight away it was up and running, no problems. Until a few weeks passed and it all started again. So once again I swapped back to the new one and it was fine, until yesterday and it's started acting up again.

I did all what I'd done before but with no joy. So, thinking that the fault could lay at the feet of the Graphics Card, I plugged it into the on board graphics port 'Intel HD Graphics & Media'  and it came on straight away. How long it would be before it once again starts acting up I don't know. But if it is the fault of the graphics card, my money is on a driver.

But, whatever it can't remain like this, because although the picture looks fine, as far as it goes. It's not good enough or fast enough for online MMORPG's, which I am somewhat addicted to, so one way or another it's going to have to be sorted. Which is where you guys come in...HELP ME! Please

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2015 - 05:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hi Graphicool1,

Just a few things to test that might fix it for you, if it's a desktop have you tried re-seating the video card, and trying a different lead from pc to

monitor incase the lead is damaged, even bent or missing pins in the connector could mess with this.

And is the pc running the lastest bios version, chipset drivers and video card drivers.

Also check that the power cable from the video card is securly plugged into the motherboard.

I am feeling your pain on the games side of things, goodluck

Edited by Unique Obsession, 05 February 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hi UO

Thanx for your input, as for...

"re-seating the video card, and trying a different lead from pc to monitor"

It wasn't until you just mentioned it that I remembered doing those things. As for...

"bios version, chipset drivers and video card drivers"

Possibly not the latest Bios & Chipset, but definately up to date with the graphics. I'll look into these and get back to you. Cheers for your thoughts on this.

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

Drivers don't cause loss of signal unless they completely die. But you do get notified of that. Did you use the same cable to plug the new monitor and the old one in?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hi Guy

"Drivers don't cause loss of signal unless they completely die."

But they can become corrupted!

"Did you use the same cable"

Initially yes, then I tried other cables. But it didn't make any difference, in the end it still kept happening.

However, when I said it all started about 6 months ago, what I omitted to mention was at that time I moved my rig from the house to a garden office. I don't know whether or not any of what I'm about to say has any bearing on this problem. But I just feel I should give you the complete story, just in case it does.

This move has been a nightmare from day one. Once ensconced in the garden office, from the start, I was having trouble with the telephone connection. The line kept breaking up, crackling and eventually cutting out altogether. The only way I could speak to anyone on the phone was to leave the office and stand in the garden. However, I've now found that I can get a reasonable signal if I just stand close to the window, what a farce. I'll add that no telephone line runs to the office. It's the sort that just plugs into a wall electric socket, the base phone is in the house. The problem with the phone all stems from the insulation used in the office. It was foam filled panels with a silver foil coating on both sides. It's the coating that blocks the wireless signal to the phone and PC stopping me using a wireless dongle. It was for this reason that I had to get a wall socket plug-in router extender. I shopped around and the ones I settled on had good write up ratings. ZyXEL PLA4201/ PLA4201 v2 500 Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapters. From the start the signal was never strong, the three lights on it's front, that were supposed to remain green, to show a good signal. Flickered all the time and kept changing to orange, then red and my PC would keep going offline. So I got new adapters and the signal is at last rock solid. My PC is connected via an ethernet lead to the adapter.

I can't see why what I'm about to say would make any difference to the monitors and PC connections. But sometimes it's stupid non related things that for some reason just seem to work? Anyway, normally I connect the ethernet extender in the house to the router before going out to the office and turning on the PC. Then I go back to the house, finish my chores and when I return to the office everthing is ready to go/or not?

This morning however I had what might turn out to be an epiphany moment. Instead of connecting the ethernet extender to the router, I left it, went out to the office, turned everything on. Came back, finished my chores, then connected the extender to the router. Went back to the office and everything was fine. I'll have to give it a while to see if this has sorted the problem or not. I'm thinking that perhaps the signal from the router/extender and the one from the PC to the monitor get confused or muddled somehow, if this is possible? It remains to be seen...watch this space! 

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

It sounds highly unlikely that an ethernet cable would cause such sort of interference in a video cable. Both are supossed to be shielded from that. Have you tried using the onboard graphics to rule out the monitor and the cable?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Hi Guy

I didn't mean the cable, I was talking about the signal (data transfer).

"Have you tried using the onboard graphics to rule out the monitor and the cable?"

No disrespect, but did you not read my opening gambit?

"thinking that the fault could lay at the feet of the Graphics Card, I plugged it into the on-board graphics port 'Intel HD Graphics & Media'  and it came on straight away. How long it would be before it once again starts acting up I don't know."

After just one day working with the onboard graphics I had a headache and had to pull the plug...literally!.

#8 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hello again Graphicool1,

Are you hearing any error beeps when you boot the pc up?

Edit: typo

Edited by Unique Obsession, 06 February 2015 - 03:10 PM.

#9 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Hi UO

No, nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh and before you ask as yet I haven't made the megga changes you suggested yet. Two reasons, first, I can't get my head round the fact that it had been working OK for about a year, without updating the Bios or Chipset, so why should doing that make any difference. Two, I thought I'd wait and see if anyone else could come up with an easier, less extreme solution. 

As for my 'Mixed Data' theory, well, as of today that's been blown out of the water. So I'm back to square one again.

Because in the past with a different system and a different 'Graphics Card' although still 'Nvidia GeForce', I have had all sorts of problems with dodgy drivers. Also with Nvidia Experience, this is why my first thought was that the culprit must be Nvidia. But if that were the case then you guys would know, wouldn't you?

Being as you blatently don't, perhaps I should pop over to the Nvidia Forum and see what they think over there.

I'll still check in here and see if there are any new ideas or suggestions.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

it all started about 6 months ago, what I omitted to mention was at that time I moved my rig from the house to a garden office.

This jumped out at me; your problems started when you moved the computer.

So...just so I understand your connection setup, you are connected by a short ethernet cable from the router to your ISP incoming cable/modem. Then you are connected wirelessly from the router to your computer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I have this right, it sounds like you have interference in the signal from the router to your wireless NIC.

Have you tried moving the computer back to its original position? If you do and your problems disappear, you have found your answer.

Oh, and by the way, just a thought.....the BIOS will not have anything to do with these connection problems. The first thing many folks want to do is flash the BIOS, and it never helps but fairly often it causes hair-tearing problems. In fact, I helped a guy just a couple of days ago here who had problems and we finally figured out it was after he flashed his BIOS. He had to roll it back and his problems disappeared.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

it all started about 6 months ago, what I omitted to mention was at that time I moved my rig from the house to a garden office.

This jumped out at me; your problems started when you moved the computer.

So...just so I understand your connection setup, you are connected by a short ethernet cable from the router to your ISP incoming cable/modem. Then you are connected wirelessly from the router to your computer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I have this right, it sounds like you have interference in the signal from the router to your wireless NIC.

Have you tried moving the computer back to its original position? If you do and your problems disappear, you have found your answer.

Oh, and by the way, just a thought.....the BIOS will not have anything to do with these connection problems. The first thing many folks want to do is flash the BIOS, and it never helps but fairly often it causes hair-tearing problems. In fact, I helped a guy just a couple of days ago here who had problems and we finally figured out it was after he flashed his BIOS. He had to roll it back and his problems disappeared.

That's been some bad luck with a |Bios update causing that i guess.

Hi UO

No, nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh and before you ask as yet I haven't made the megga changes you suggested yet. Two reasons, first, I can't get my head round the fact that it had been working OK for about a year, without updating the Bios or Chipset, so why should doing that make any difference. Two, I thought I'd wait and see if anyone else could come up with an easier, less extreme solution. 

As for my 'Mixed Data' theory, well, as of today that's been blown out of the water. So I'm back to square one again.

Because in the past with a different system and a different 'Graphics Card' although still 'Nvidia GeForce', I have had all sorts of problems with dodgy drivers. Also with Nvidia Experience, this is why my first thought was that the culprit must be Nvidia. But if that were the case then you guys would know, wouldn't you?

Being as you blatently don't, perhaps I should pop over to the Nvidia Forum and see what they think over there.

I'll still check in here and see if there are any new ideas or suggestions.

Well a visit to the Nvidia forums would do no harm i guess, i remember replacing a monitor a while back, the newer monitor would show this no signal state, when the pc was off. And when turned on it would still show no signal, now i can not remember for sure if i just selected a channel, after all this was a flat screen tv, and all channels were tuned for the pc, ps2 etc (yea ps2 this was a while ago). I just remembered this channel thing tonight so came onto the forum. Now if that's not your issue then i'm stumped.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Is the video cable tightened down, on both ends?

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

Hi Guys Old & New

First off I'll give you an update as to what's been happening this end. As I said about Nvidia on my last post, I went over and posted the same question and details as on here. As yet and not surprisingly, I haven't heard anything, but it's early days. Oh and while I think of it, before I originally posted my question on here I had a shufty on the internet regarding 'intermittent Monitor Connection No Signal Detected'; and I found quite a few people who had the same or similar problems, however, no solutions were forth coming.

Since I was last on here, the only way I could get the monitor to work was to connect directly to the Mobo on board 'Intel HD Graphics & Media' port'. Yesterday I also ran another lead from the monitor to the PC, but this one was to the Nvidia graphics card. This means I now had two leads connected simultainiously, both from the monitor, one to Nvidia and the other to the Mobo. I switched on and the Mobo connection was live, but not the other. So this morning, with the two leads still connected, I once again switched on (with unsurprisingly, the same result as yesterday) but then, while it was running I disconnected the lead to the Mobo and the monitor screen went black. But as I watched a message appeared in the centre of the screen, it said...'Auto Adjusting'. Then Windows started up as normal, since then I haven't closed the PC down. It remains to be seen what will happen tomorrow etc.

Now to get to your latest batch of suggestions, I'm sure you'll understand when I say I intend to wait and see, before trying anything else. However...

RANCH HAND

"you are connected by a short ethernet cable from the router to your ISP incoming cable/modem. Then you are connected wirelessly from the router to your computer."

No, it's like this, a telephone line comes into my house and is split. A part of it goes to the in house phones and the other goes to the router/hub. From the router to one of the two extenders there is a short Ethernet lead. This extender plugs into an electric wall socket, in the house. My PC is in a garden office, the electrics run from the main board to the external office and are all on the same ring main. Therefore I am able to plug the other extender into an electric wall socket in the garden office; from this extender there is another short Ethernet lead to the PC. At no stage is any of this set-up wireless.

Unique Obsession

"i can not remember for sure if i just selected a channel, after all this was a flat screen tv, and all channels were tuned for the pc, ps2 etc"

Yes I can see how when I moved my rig from the house to the office, my fingers might have inadvertently pressed a button and changed a channel or something. Which could have accounted for that monitor only working intermittently or not at all. However, that doesn't explain why the second (new) monitor would perform in the same way?

Kilroy

"Is the video cable tightened down, on both ends?"

Yes, originally when all this started they both were. Since then sometimes yes and sometimes no. But either way it made no difference.

#14 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

UPDATE

Everything was OK until Windows updates. It downloaded and installed some updates. Then said..."Restart your computer"...However, this was easier said than done. As expected it didn't start again.

Anyway at first I tried to restart it using all three plugs one at a time.

I tried HDMI and it didn't work.

I tried DVI and it didn't work.

I tried D-sub and it didn't work.

So then I plugged them all in together and What!...something was working, but I wasn't sure what? (Still Not)

So I removed the direct MoBo connection and the something was still working?.

For now I've left it at that. Because both of those still connected are operating through the Graphics Card.
They are the HDMI and the D-sub.

I'm leaning toward the HDMI, because later on I received a notification from Nvidia Experience, saying that it has upgraded my TERA game quality to optimum and it never did that when I was using either of the others.

I'll see what happens when I switch on tomorrow.

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

The problem has escalated a bit since I last wrote. I uninstalled the GPU and purged my PC of everything related to it. Switched off and on again a few times, during which time the monitor was connected to the on-board graphics. Then I reinstalled the GPU plugged the monitor to it, switched on the PC...'No Signal'. Reconnected to the on-board graphics, no problem. Did some stuff on my PC and online, turned off the PC.

Next day, with the monitor still connected only to the  PC on-board graphics (as it had been the day before)...Black screen...

My first thought was...what!!? But it always comes on when plugged into the MoBo?
My second thought was...the MoBo's had it!
My third thought was...I'll try plugging into the graphics card as well, as before.

I got a picture, but all the icons were massive and grossly distorted.

Straight away I knew what was happening...

It had found the graphics card!

I loaded the old drivers that I'd loaded when I first got the card and sanity was restored, I was cooking on gas.

So, I removed the connector to the on-board graphics and everything was fine and remained fine all day yesterday (Monday 16 Feb)

This morning when I switched on my PC...'No Signal'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????

Could the MoBo battery have anything to do with any of this? I'm fresh out of any other ideas............................ :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users