Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

maya,3ds max,blender

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purplekaycee

purplekaycee

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

We are an upstart graphics house based in africa.which software is best?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

It would depend on what you are focusing on, animation, 3d modeling for game dev or making 3d movies.

Oh and more importantly is how much you are willing to pay for the software.

Blender is free, and i would say good for what it does, but my choice will always be Autodesk 3d studio max.

3d studio max can be got for free for 3 years on a student licence, and allows you to model basically anything 3d, characters,

game levels and vehicles etc. It is also great for movie making as it outputs to .avi.

The software is also great for doing animations work which would be part of the whole movie and game dev side of things.

I have used Autodesk 3d studio max since the 3ds max 7 days.

Maya has more animation related tools and if you are good with python the scripting side of things should be interesting.

For 3d max the scripting is max scripts, you can write plugins etc.

There is another software i have used in the past, call Sculptris, this is free and great too, Sculptris is more akin to organic

modelling.

#3 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:59 AM

We are hoping to do a mid size level graphics game.would have posted screen shots here but am not sure its possible.The game would be centered on street racing. I woukd check for maya and 3d max sodtware on ebay

#4 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

Ebay?  To be sure you are buying a 100% legit Maya or Autodesk 3ds max, the only place you should buy

that is from here http://www.autodesk.com/store

Or you can go with a student license if you are currently a student http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

Anyway, you mention a race style game so you will be working with 3d modeling for cars and the environment.

Animations for crashes, driver first person arms and moving trees to give slight wind/breeze effect etc.

And physics for the impact between cars and basically steering and balance of the cars.

Most of all have fun, and use the proper site to buy an expensive software like this.

#5 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:46 AM

Its like. $ 25. On ebay .wats wrong with the site?

#6 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

The fact that a Software that is a few £0000 and $0000 is going for 25 dollars should be good reason to avoid it.

When bought from the legit Autodesk site, you pay for the software, support and some extras like the right to sell your

models etc on the autodesk website. I very much doubt you will get all that for 25 dollars.

If you are going to take this as a serious way for getting into the games industry then the only way is pay for the legit software.

Infact if you were employed they would give you a serial for the software, after all, the big companies pay for bulk/group licensing.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Blender is free and just as capable as the others, i use it often myself. I would recommend it, it is also very easy to find online tutorials for.

Anything the autodesk products can do blender is also capable of, it can be used for 3d modelling, animation, still renders,physical simulations and game development, along with video compositing, all in the 1 package.

With blender you have a wide choice of output file formats for video, images or games, and you have a wide choice of input file formats you can use for importing 3d models or video backgrounds.

Blender has many freely available plguins online for automating certain tasks, you can alos write your own if you are experienced in python coding.
I would suggest you download it for free now, if you really don't like it you can always consider other products later on.
http://www.blender.org/
http://www.blender.org/download/

Edited by rp88, 08 February 2015 - 11:57 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Yea i would have to agreed with rp88 at this point, the reason i hoped you would not buy the Ebay  $25 version is that you are

going to get a trial period with that, from memory the trials only allow for 30 days of testing the software.

After the 30 days you buy the software and serial for the right to continued use, support etc.

I wouldn't want to hear that you bought this cheap version and in the middle of your game development, were shown the dreaded

trial period expired.

Which game engine are you creating this game for?

#9 purplekaycee

purplekaycee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Yea i would have to agreed with rp88 at this point, the reason i hoped you would not buy the Ebay  $25 version is that you are
going to get a trial period with that, from memory the trials only allow for 30 days of testing the software.

After the 30 days you buy the software and serial for the right to continued use, support etc.

I wouldn't want to hear that you bought this cheap version and in the middle of your game development, were shown the dreaded
trial period expired.

Which game engine are you creating this game for?

we are going to use one if the open source engines

#10 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

NIce, i hope it all goes well for you, the open source engine called Grit looks good for the race style games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users