Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam email from myself

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PCDevil

PCDevil

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

This morning I looked at my email and in my junk is a spam email that says it's from my email address and to my email address. Even looking at the message source it only gives my email. Only thing, aside from knowing I didn't send it obviously, is that the IP address appears to be someone in Tanzania (lbased on a quick search) and I'm in the UK.

It's the second email I've had like this, but the first was months ago now.

Is there anyway I can stop these messages?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

Which email application do you use ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

Outlook/hotmail

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

1. Have you changed your password

2. Is it feasible for you to open a new email address ?...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

I would also reset your Microsoft account password

GO HERE

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:04 AM

1. Have you changed your password

2. Is it feasible for you to open a new email address ?...

Thanks.

1. Not yet, but I will. Although I'm not sure anyone is actually accessing the account - nothing has been sent from it, nothing strange otherwise.

2. Already done recently for another reason, but currently still need to use this email address too.

Edited by PCDevil, 05 February 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

This morning I looked at my email and in my junk is a spam email that says it's from my email address and to my email address. Even looking at the message source it only gives my email. Only thing, aside from knowing I didn't send it obviously, is that the IP address appears to be someone in Tanzania

......you account has been accessed.

As a minimal approach....follow the steps on THIS PAGE

OR.....i will give you detailed steps to follow.

You choice......but be aware that your details/identity could be compromised.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

your account has not necessarily been hacked. It is possible for people to spoof your email and therefore have spam sent from you to you without ever accessing your email.

Here's a detailed article on it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

As a summary: If you have the state "softfail" under "received-psf" your account wasn't compromised and they're just faking the email address from a different server.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:35 AM

This morning I looked at my email and in my junk is a spam email that says it's from my email address and to my email address. Even looking at the message source it only gives my email. Only thing, aside from knowing I didn't send it obviously, is that the IP address appears to be someone in Tanzania

......you account has been accessed.

As a minimal approach....follow the steps on THIS PAGE

OR.....i will give you detailed steps to follow.

You choice......but be aware that your details/identity could be compromised.

Seems pointless to hack an account to send 1 spam email and do nothing else. Well 2 if you count the other months ago, but nothing else happened with that. Is it not possible for them to have masked the actual email they used and it not to show up? Maybe some sort of script that automatically changes the email address to be that of the one it's sent to?

I've changed my password. My computer is always up to date and scanning for malware, spyware and viruses. I use completely different passwords on other sites to my email as well.

#10 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi,

your account has not necessarily been hacked. It is possible for people to spoof your email and therefore have spam sent from you to you without ever accessing your email.

Here's a detailed article on it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

As a summary: If you have the state "softfail" under "received-psf" your account wasn't compromised and they're just faking the email address from a different server.

regards

myrti

Thanks. it says spf=softfail.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

Looks like you are good to go !!

Thanks Myrti for that insight....saved us both some needless work.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

Seems so :)

I don't get why people would make it appear you're emailing yourself. I mean, any spam is pointless, but even if you get/send thousands of emails and do send yourself reminders or work or whatever, I'd hope you'd know you hadn't sent yourself spam.

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

the main aim is to fool the spam filter into letting the email through. Your own email is likely to not be backlisted by your spam filter. :wink: That's probably all there is to it.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

Hi,

the main aim is to fool the spam filter into letting the email through. Your own email is likely to not be backlisted by your spam filter. :wink: That's probably all there is to it.

regards

myrti

Yeah, true. Didn't think of that, mine went to junk anyway lol. It obviously noticed something wasn't right. But to me it makes it seem more obvious just because you know you didn't send it. No point in getting through a spam filter if it's then more obvious to people that it is a scam. Although that's obviously not a bad thing if less people fall for it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users