Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Previous Xp Home Operating System After Trying To Install Windows 64x

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David C

David C

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

i recently got a copy of an updated windows xp, but when i was trying to install it, the key did not work. i stupidly chose to do the initial installation in the same C: partition i was already using. Now, neither my previous os or the new one work, and when i select one in the booting stage, all the pc does is restarts. is there any way i can restore my previous windows edition? i have tried to create yet another copy if my first windows on the same partition and go to system restore, BUT i cannot restore anything. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!! all i need to know how to do is delete the other windows, and restore my initial version. Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

Changing your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPo...2&SiteID=25

23 May 2006, 6:20 PM UTC
Phil Liu MSFT Posts 1,160 Changing your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA. Was this post helpful ?

First, please verify if your COA sticker or product key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx
matches your Product Key being used on your system? You can view your product key with the Genuine Advantage diagnostics tool (at least the last 15 digits) located here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
Good luck! -Phil Liu

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

If your old XP install disc is a full XP installation disc then you can choose to format the C: drive which will erase all previous installs.

If you have what's called a reinstall disc from Dell or Gateway, etc., thein running it will automatically erase the hard drive.

Both of these methods will erase all files on the C: volume along with the operating system(s).

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

You said that it was a 64 bit version of Windows.

Replying to Restoring Previous Xp Home Operating System After Trying To Install Windows 64x

Was this the Vista Beta 2 Version that is available for download? If it was the only way you are going to get your old OS back is to do a full total install with the old version. There is no restore or anything like that with this version.

Another question is your computer 64-bit? If not then you should not have tried to install a 64-bit version.

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

i recently got a copy of an updated windows xp, but when i was trying to install it, the key did not work. i stupidly chose to do the initial installation in the same C: partition i was already using. Now, neither my previous os or the new one work, and when i select one in the booting stage, all the pc does is restarts. is there any way i can restore my previous windows edition? i have tried to create yet another copy if my first windows on the same partition and go to system restore, BUT i cannot restore anything. PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!!! all i need to know how to do is delete the other windows, and restore my initial version. Thanx

From what I understand in your post, You have 2 different Windows installed on 1 partition? Deleting one Version and restoring the other is.. well Needless to say, impossible.. Being that they're on one partition, its like cramming them together.. Since you say the PC starts, this tells me that your Master Boot Record is corrupted. What this is, is the information on your hard drive that loads before Windows. Im still learning how to modify the MBR myself, but I know it can be done, and when I find out how, I will be sure to help you because if that cna be done on your comp, I think that we can save your PC. So hang tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users