Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser has been Hijacked with "ads by info." persists despite multple scans

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 snowman123

snowman123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

Hello.

My computer was infected a few weeks ago with a brower hijacker. It pops up ads all over the place and often opens new windows or tabs begging me to download more of its kind. Needless to say, very annoying. I ran a whole bunch of anti mal/spyware programs on it, multple times each and they found a fair bit. It was all quarintined/scrubbed, but i'm still seeing symptoms. The only unifying bit of info I get is at the bottom of everything is a little "ads by info"

Point of entry:

Me trusting torrented games. 

I know, I know. Kinda deserve this.

What has been done:

First went through with Revo uninstaller and scrubbed anything I didn't recall putting on.

Scanned with Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, AVG, Spybot S&D, Super Anti Spyware and ADWcleaner.

Machine:

Windows 7 64bit SP1

Any advice on what to do for a user who Fkd up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:19 AM

In many cases these issues are the result of unwanted toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions which come bundled with other free software (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). They can be the source of various issues and problems to include adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page/search engine, and cause user profile corruption.

As such they are generally classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and many of them can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.
Remove anything else (newly installed programs) you do not recognize.

The next place to check is your browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins.

To reset your browser settings to default:

To reset the browser home page if it was changed, please refer to:

Note: Some ads have Opting Out procedures which you should check for when normal removal methods fail. For example, if you click on the Advertiser's name - i.e. AdChoices - you are taken to a page which contains opt-out information. For a list of companies which have Opting Out procedures, please refer to:

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:
How To Block advertisements in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Opera
BlockSite for Firefox
NoScript - NoScript FAQs
NotScripts for Chrome

About Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Overview
- Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer
- Adblock Plus for Firefox
- Adblock Plus for Chrome
- Adblock Plus for Opera
- Adblock Plus FAQs

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 snowman123

snowman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

I have already run REVO. Firefox plugins and extensions disabled and brower reset.

I managed to find a opt-out button and gave it a shot, seeing as it was suggested. Its somewhat worked, but still some hotlinks, but they are very infrequent now.

There still is windows popping up every now and then trying to send me to efix.com. For now I'm following this guide on removing it, but I'm skeptical it'll work as I have already done more or less the same thing already. If it persists should I continue with this thread or post a new one as its kinda a seperate issue?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Considering the scans you have already performed and the ones in that guide...if you are still having issues, I suggest you follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users