Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive enclosure (3.5 sata) ac adapter dead?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

I'm using a 3.5 sata hard drive enclosure. I've had it for about 4 or 5 years now, used it here and there.  It seems that the ac power adapter is now dying.  Even when it's plugged in and no loose connections, the green light that normally lights up on the rectangular box of the ac adapter doesn't light up.  Sometimes a hard shake or hitting it turns it on and works after that.  So I'm having to shake it around, hit it, smack on the floor gently to get the power flowing.  Not sure if it's the actual rectangular box or the cord of the power adapter.

Where can I get a replacement power adapter?  The end that goes into the HDD enclosure is a round circular plug (maybe 4 or 5mm?...it's not a big one like the ones found on laptops or netbooks but a bit smaller than that).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:07 AM

Many electronics suppliers have suitable power supplies (it must be a switched mode power supply, SMPS, not the older transformer type). Get one of the same voltage rating (presumably 12V) and at least the same current rating. The DC plug is specified by the centre pin it matches, possibly 2mm or 2.5mm is it this type:

2.5x5.5mm_DC_Power_Cord.jpg

Edited by Platypus, 05 February 2015 - 01:09 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

yes it looks exactly like that end...just not 100% sure the actual size...

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

mine says that it's 12V 0.7A input and 12V 2A output.

I found some ac adapters that are 12V 1A input or 12 V 1.5A input and 12V 5A output, are these okay to use

or does that small difference mean it could be damaging to my hard drive?

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Those will work for your Enclosure.  The higher amp rating means that those Adapters are capable of supplying a larger current output load than your original Adapter's output current capacity.

It's probably not something that you'd encounter with a generic Adapter replacement but it's a good idea to verify the polarity of the circular connector. 

Most Adapter connectors like this will output the positive voltage polarity to the center conductor and the negative voltage to the outer sleeve conductor.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

mine says that it's 12V 0.7A input and 12V 2A output.

I found some ac adapters that are 12V 1A input or 12 V 1.5A input and 12V 5A output, are these okay to use

or does that small difference mean it could be damaging to my hard drive?

You're misreading something there. 120V AC input?

The output will indeed need to be 12V and at least 2A, 5A would be more than sufficient but unnecessarily large, and probably costs more. Google brings up many 2A rated units, like:

http://www.dx.com/p/12v-2a-ac-power-adapter-for-monitoring-device-black-ac-100-240v-us-plug-297104?tc=AUD&gclid=CJKs2fn0ysMCFVcmvQodBlAAmg#.VNNweY0fqP8

(Example, not suggestion)

The plug size may not be specified, as long as the centre pin is not too large for the plug, they're usually close enough. As scoop8 comments, it's worth ensuring both show the same polarity indication, usually centre positive (+).

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users