Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NE56R-10u What does the "10u" stand for?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

I'm trying to get a friend's laptop to work again. It will not let me see any files to find out if it has a 32bit or 64bit loaded on it. So I am hoping that the "10u" might mean something helpful. I know it's a VERY longshot, but I'm running out of ideas to find the 32 or 64 bit information that is required to create the Windows7 boot repair disk that may(or may not) help get it to stop looping to the Windows Error Recovery screen. :killcomp:  There are options I can try, but not until I can find out if it has a 32bit or 64bit.

Anybody know how to find out without having to have access to the files?? Is there anyway to find out by opening up the bottom of the laptop and looking at the inards??

Thanks for any help ya'll can offer!

LuLu the Hillbilly :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hello lulucomer:

A Google search states the Gateway hardware is 64-bit, but that's not a guarantee that the current unspecified O.S. is too.

If Windows can boot in either normal or safe mode, perhaps then this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

If not, a Linux "LiveCD" can be employed to look into the HDD's contents for your answers.

I don't know what "10u" stands for either. Sorry.

As a pure guess, I'd say it has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed. But who knows...

User's Manual:

http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Gateway_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=634725607722925695&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NE%20SERIES&Step3=NE56R&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 05 February 2015 - 04:38 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-ne56r10u-15-6-celeron-b820-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

unless the guy changed it since purchasing it, hard to see how it could be 32 bit OS.

Edited by yu gnomi, 05 February 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#4 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-ne56r10u-15-6-celeron-b820-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

unless the guy changed it since purchasing it, hard to see how it could be 32 bit OS.

yu gnomi, Yipee!! That is exactly the same laptop I have in front of me, sir!! You are on my "HERO" list !! May God Bless You and Your's, Sir!!!

Gratefully Yours, LuLu the Hillbilly :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users