Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Javascript Problem? Here - Not There . . .

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tedkarma

tedkarma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

My Yahoo in Bangkok (where I work most of the time) won't do the REPLY function and the bottom of the page says, "Error on Page" - on my computer at home (on Phuket) - no problem. It is a real pain in the b*tt as I do a LOT of email for work.

I tried RESTORE to a date before the problem showed up - but no go.

It seems the problem is on this machine - no?

Ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JensenX

JensenX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Did you find a resolution to this problem?

I've got the same problem. It started on one of my computers (laptop) and then after a few days it happened on all 3 of them.

Mine started last week on one computer. I first suspected my operating system (window XP professional) and did the same as you and restored it to an earlier date when all was well....no change. I searched my system for viruses, trojans, spyware etc...everything was clear (used a few different checkers).

I have 3 computers and at first Yahoo mail was working on 2 of them, so obviously it couldn't have been a Windows XP problem. After 3 days all 3 of my computers had the same problem.

Before I noticed the problem on all 3 computers I tried many things:

I suspected IE 6. I tried Yahoo mail in Mozilla Firefox and it worked for a while (maybe a few hours) and then came up with the same problem.

I repaired IE 6, checked all the settings, adjusted them according to some suggestions, restored them to default, deleted caches, cookies, temp files, tried everything to no avail. I tested my Java machine too (I have the latest version of Sun java)…no problem with that.

I then suspected Yahoo because my Hotmail was working fine (and still does), but upon searching the Internet for others with the same problem, I discovered that not too many seem to have this problem. There was no help for this problem in the Yahoo help database. If it was a Yahoo problem, I would have expected that millions would be screaming about it.

I then came to the conclusion that it must be ISP related. I have 2 ISP's that I use here in Thailand: TT&T and CAT. Both broadband DSL connections. I have the same problem with both ISP's on all my computers.

When I noticed your post here and that you are in Thailand, you confirmed my suspicions that it might be a Thailand ISP related problem. It's useless to contact customer service here as it's impossible to communicate with the staff.

Here's a more detailed explanation of my problem:

I can access my Yahoo Mail account, but when loaded I have a script error indicated by a yellow icon (exclamation point) in the bottom left that reads: "error on page" after reading “done, but with errors on page”.

Details of this error are usually “object expected: Code 0” but I have seen a few different ones on my other machines.

The text on the bottom left of the screen is alway jumbled.

All I can do inside my account is read my mail. I cannot move mail, adjust settings, or send mail. Basically none of the tabs work. I can compose mail, but not send it. I cannot use the new beta mail either. When I tried that nothing happens and I can’t even access my mail and I’m forced to revert back to the normal mail page. Links on my mail page do work and I can access my folders.

Does anyone have any insight into this most perplexing problem?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

Do you have other soft-ware that has privacy settings that might be blocking javascripts?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 September 2006 - 04:36 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 JensenX

JensenX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 03:52 AM

Do you have other soft-ware that has privacy settings that might be blocking javascripts?

Not that I'm aware of. I've tested my Java using a lot of different testers that are available on the internet and it's working fine. Hotmail works fine too on all my machines.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

I can think of only two possibilities. I'm grasping at straws here as I don't use Yahoo.

1) As I suggested earlier, something with privacy settings such as a firewall, a router, an extension such as NoScripts or something may be blocking the scripts for Yahoo but not other sites. For example: I have set my firewall, which is ZoneAlarm, to automatically block JavaScripts unless I change the settings for a specific website.

2) This is a longer shot: Since you are in Thailand it may be a problem with language or coding translation on the computer. For example - is your machine U.S. windows but the local Yahoo site Thai? Have you tried accessing Yahoo on other computers in Thailand to see if it works on those computers?

If neither of these are causing the problem, perhaps someone else has some other ideas.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 JensenX

JensenX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

I can think of only two possibilities. I'm grasping at straws here as I don't use Yahoo.

1) As I suggested earlier, something with privacy settings such as a firewall, a router, an extension such as NoScripts or something may be blocking the scripts for Yahoo but not other sites. For example: I have set my firewall, which is ZoneAlarm, to automatically block JavaScripts unless I change the settings for a specific website.

2) This is a longer shot: Since you are in Thailand it may be a problem with language or coding translation on the computer. For example - is your machine U.S. windows but the local Yahoo site Thai? Have you tried accessing Yahoo on other computers in Thailand to see if it works on those computers?

If neither of these are causing the problem, perhaps someone else has some other ideas.

Thanks for your imput.

I've tried to access Yahoo with another computer (on the same ISP) here in Thailand and had no problems.

I went a step further today and clean installed Windows XP SP2 on my computer. I didn't do this with Yahoo in mind (I had other reasons) but it didn't help. I didn't think it would anyway because my 2 other computers have succumbed to the same problem.

I've also tried with the firewall and virus checkers turned off. The first thing I did when I reinstalled Windows was check Yahoo. No luck.

So...

1. It can't be the operating system.

2. It can't be the browser. I've tried 3. ie. Netscape, IE 6 and FireFox.

I've almost given up.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Question 1: Does your computer use a U.S installation for the operating system?

Question 2: Do the other computers you tried use a U.S. installation for the operating system? If not, what kind of installation do they use?

It is possible that your problem is a translation problem. The answers to the above questions will help determine that.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users