Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird "Program" on Task Manager Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyY

AnthonyY

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hi, I was looking at the Startup section on Task Manager, and something caught my eye. There's a program literally just called "Program", the icon is only the generic blank white page one, and there's no name on the publisher. It has a startup Impact of "Not Measured" and I cannot open the file location or select the properties option. I have the option of disabling it but I have not just in case it's something important. Some help on what it is and how I can see its properties? Could it be just leftover from programs I uninstalled?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FighterRanger

FighterRanger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

Not sure what that program would be, but you shouldn't see irreversible changes made by removing a program from startup. I'd go for removing it from your startup items. If you're really worried, try running rkill and seeing what happens when you open up programs, because in the event that that program not running has disastrous consequences on your computer, that should be able to end the process without removing it from your startup items and a reboot should set your computer back to normal.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

Hi AnthonyY :)

From my experience, Program is left in the Start-up when you uninstall a program that didn't manage to remove that entry correctly. In fact, that entry is now empty and doesn't call anything, but just stays there in the Task Manager. Usually, running JetClean from BlueSprig fixes that issue (if you decide to install it, be careful not to accept the BlueSprig toolbar!)

http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html

I wouldn't worry much about it since that entry is "orphean" and therefore harmless. You can simply remove it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 AnthonyY

AnthonyY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

From my experience, Program is left in the Start-up when you uninstall a program that didn't manage to remove that entry correctly. In fact, that entry is now empty and doesn't call anything, but just stays there in the Task Manager. Usually, running JetClean from BlueSprig fixes that issue (if you decide to install it, be careful not to accept the BlueSprig toolbar!)

I wouldn't worry much about it since that entry is "orphean" and therefore harmless. You can simply remove it.

Thanks, much appreciated  :bounce:

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

Just don't clean the registry with it, or you'll end up "cleaning" everything with a reformat and a Windows reinstall... That type of software will not improve PC performance. There are ways to remove orphan entries manually, safely...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Edited by Phantom010, 05 February 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, much appreciated  :bounce:

No problem :) For proof, someone had the same issue here and it was a program that didn't uninstall correctly:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/need-help-to-remove-windows-startup-entry-in-task/85ef473e-5bb9-47b5-86c0-de0032bf8d5c

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Autoruns would have helped you as well, and doesn't require any installation. Run the program, select the Logon tab, find your program, right-click and delete the entry.

Edited by Phantom010, 05 February 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Autoruns would have been my recommendation as well.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

I would had recommended Autorunsc if I had thought of it before, mostly because a common user might not be able to use Autoruns to identify the right program to remove, even thought "missing" ones are tagged in yellow and "unsigned" ones are tagged in red/pink.

unite_blue.png

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Pointed in the right direction, anybody can use Autoruns. For those having trouble, I usually ask for a text log.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

Or provide specific instructions as to what they should look for.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users