Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unauthorised Wireless Usage.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:19 AM

Hi guys,

I have recently set up my home with a wirless system, so that everyone in my family can use the internet on various computers. Recently, i have noticed my speed drop from 60-80kbs down to 20-30kbs, which gives me the suspision someone in my neighbour hood is using my internet.

Is there anyway to control who and who doesnt use my internet. I do have a passcode btw.

Btw,how do i check who uses my internet?and make sure strangers are not using my WIFI.

PLEASE HELP!!! SOMEONE IS USING MY INTERNET BY HACKING MEANS!!

i am noy very smart at networking, and computers. I no the basics.

Please help.

Thanks.

noel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

there are varying degrees of security.
light>WEP key, 64 bit 128 bit 256 bit
med>WPA/PSK
heavy> SSID disable,mac address authentication, and a mix of one of the above encryption methods

generallyyou will find people use WEP with either 64 or 128 bit keys. of course, it goes without saying that you change your username and password from the default "admin,admin"

you may not be a victim of WIFI theft. if you, as you mentioned, have several people on the net at a time, and even if 1 person is doing p2p downloads, torrent downloads, even just net surfing, it cuts into your bandwidth. your information also passes through the air, gets encapsulated,decapsulated, and re-encapsulated with another bit of data before it gets transmitted through the router. mind you, we are talking nanoseconds, but also remember, there is more than 1 computer doing that at a time and if it is an entry level router, the buffer may be screaming to keep up.

i would recommend, you change your router's username and password, have a minimum 64 bit WEP encryption to start. that gives you a ten digit "keycode" that your computer adds to each data packet as it is transmitted to the "gateway", >router. it is a light, but good enough security. people often complain about the lack of security in WEP encryption, but, i have yet to meet someone who has a WEP key cracker although they do exist, molstly for linux complations anyway. and usually these guys are pretty smart, and if they are pretty smart, they can usually find another way around the other security stuff as well. so hey, you put enough money and time into cracking secutity, you are in.

anyway, lol, log into your router to set yourself up with some type of security. once you log in, the tabs you see in the router (they are all different) will guide you to wireless security, from there, select WEP, select 64, or 128 bit, whatever you want, put in your "key", its hex, so you can pick 0-9 and a-f. as forthe userpass change, there should be an administration tab somewhere, so select that, and you usually can find out how to change it there. oh, lol, btw to log into your router, you open up your internet browser, and type the ip address of the router into your address bar. usually it is 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1. different router brands use different ranges, so yours could be different than that too. next question, what is my routers ip address? ok, click start>run type in "cmd" once the dos window opens up, type in "ipconfig" (where the curser is flashing) and hit enter. now you have some info to go on, the router is the "gateway", gateway's ip address is the same as the router...

good luck, and post back with more questions if needed!
Dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:23 AM

It all depends on what brand of router you have, but you should be able to see "Attached Devices" in you router's config panel. Follow Snapper's instructions:

you open up your internet browser, and type the ip address of the router into your address bar. usually it is 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1. different router brands use different ranges, so yours could be different than that too. next question, what is my routers ip address? ok, click start>run type in "cmd" once the dos window opens up, type in "ipconfig" (where the curser is flashing) and hit enter. now you have some info to go on, the router is the "gateway", gateway's ip address is the same as the router...

and once you get into the config panel, look for a section called Attached Devices, or something similar (it's called that on my Netgear routers). In there I'm able to see all the computers on my router (including wireless computers connected)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users