Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just got a new laptop with Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ehzool

ehzool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

I just bought a new HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-J120DX Core i7-4700MQ, 8GB, 17.3 FHD LED Touch-screen Laptop. It's a $1,000 new laptop but I bought it refurbished for $600.

It's great but there is one thing it does sometimes. I have a video to show as well.

Sometimes when I'm watching videos or listening to music, suddenly the sound/video will become very choppy and everything slows down. Hovering over things with the mouse become slow too sometimes. Button's don't realize their "hovered over" until 5 seconds of hovering of it.

It happens pretty rarely. Maybe once every 2 days at random times. I noticed a quick fix for this is when I unplug my USB audio interface and plug it back in. However, this problem happens even when my audio interface IS NOT plugged in. So when that happens, the only thing I know to do is to restart the computer.

I thought maybe it could be a graphics card issue because it started happening when I went to full screen on YouTube once but it also happened when I was just streaming a radio station (no video) so it's confusing.

4th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7-4700MQ processor

I believe it has Intel HD Graphics 4600 with up to 1793mbps total graphics memory

Here is a video

http://youtu.be/zsPaiTd2_PU

Edited by ehzool, 04 February 2015 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Good laptop, although you might have a bad graphics card.

I'd double check that the OS was actually re-installed and all the drivers are updated to the newest version.. Especially the graphics card.

Run this command in CMD to check the install date of Windows.

systeminfo | findstr "Ori"

Check back and let me know what you find.

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 04 February 2015 - 08:58 PM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 ehzool

ehzool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

Good laptop, although you might have a bad graphics card.

I'd double check that the OS was actually re-installed and all the drivers are updated to the newest version.. Especially the graphics card.

Run this command in CMD to check the install date of Windows.

systeminfo | findstr "Ori"

Check back and let me know what you find.

Thanks for the quick response. It could be possibly it's a bad graphics card? Even though sometimes it happens when there isn't any video showing? Just streaming audio?

I did what you said and I see "Original Install Date: 12/23/2014" That was the day I received the laptop.

I just realized this seems to happen when my laptop goes to "sleep" or turns off the display and I turn it back on as well

Edited by ehzool, 04 February 2015 - 09:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users