Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does updated Comodo clash with Avast AV?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shinra

shinra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

For the past few months I've noticed that my internet browsing is noticeable slower - sometimes in Firefox it takes 15 minutes to download a 10 MB file! - and at times my program-loading speed is much slower as well. This more or less correlates with when I accidentally allowed my free Comodo Firewall to update itself to a more robust version which contains antivirus scanning, sandbox, etc. as well as some PUP bundles. However, I already have Avast antivirus running with file system / web shields, "DeepScreen", "Home Network Security", etc., though the free version doesn't have sandbox capabilities.

Now that the newer Comodo is acting more antivirus-y, could it and Avast be clashing with each other and possibly be contributing to slower browsing? If so, do I have to uninstall one of them and switch to a different combination of firewall + AV, or is there something I can do with settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hi shinra :)

It looks like you allowed COMODO Firewall to install COMODO Antivirus when it was updating itself. Having more than one Antivirus installed at the time on a system can cause system conflict and instability. You should only have one Antivirus product installed at all time on a system. You can supplement it with Antimalware since they are made to run alongside Antivirus, but not another Antivirus product. I suggest you to go in your list of installed programs, uninstall every COMODO programs and then re-download COMODO Firewall and reinstall it. If you think that COMODO Firewall is annoying or creates conflicts with avast!, you can always use the Windows Firewall, in-built, which is good enough to fit your network protection needs, assuming that you are running Windows 7 or more recent. Let me know how it goes :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

Yes the two programs are likely clashing. I also found Comodo started bogging down my system when used with Avira, last year. I did a whole big shuffle and switched to ZoneAlarm with BitDefender. That was running better but still didn't seem ideal, so I dropped the ZoneAlarm and activated the Windows firewall... Much better network speeds. Adding Malwarebytes added an extra level of security also... but none of these protections are anywhere near as effective as good computing and browsing habits.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

I guess that if you want to use a third-party firewall but keep your network/connection speed, you'll have to do your own tweaks to allow some programs/applications to go through without any problem. Hence why the Windows Firewall is the best choice for the standard user, as he doesn't have to deal with that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Unique Obsession

Unique Obsession

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Comodo Fw software also has a submit files section in it, i am not currently on my main pc which runs Avast Av and Comodo Fw.

But i can tell you there is a .dll file which is part of Avast which is not digitally signed and so comodo basically treats it as untrusted.

You can add Avast to the trusted applications selection if you have noticed that this file also shows up in your submited files section in Comodo.

If you ran Comodo Fw in trainning mode at the beginning after confirming your pc to be malware and virus free it would do this by default.

As was previously mentioned 2 Antivirus's is a no no. They will conflict with each other and be arguing over who has priority to do what both are

built to do.

#6 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:02 PM

Just signed up to ask the same thing!!!

Are there any good (free) alternatives to COMODO firewall that won't slow things down?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

If you use Windows 7 or later, you don't need a third-party firewall, the Windows Firewall will do the job just well. What version of Windows are you using, and what Antivirus are you currently using?

unite_blue.png

#8 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

Vista and avast

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

Here, quietman wrote a whole post in his General Security thread on Firewalls, and why Windows Firewall is one of the best firewall for Windows Vista and later (I said Windows 7 earlier, my bad).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2475503

If you still want a third-party firewall after that, let me know. There's many free applications that implements the Windows Firewall, such as TinyWall if you want.

http://tinywall.pados.hu/

unite_blue.png

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

I have used Avast AntiVirus Premium for some months now.  Here's some quick ideas:  Turn off Avast DeepScan or DeepScreen and test; also ensure you're not having Avast check every entire file; turn on its intelligent caching options; while you can schedule scans with two different antivirus programs, as the others said, ensure only one is doing the Real [Time] Protection thing. Turn off: Software Updater, Grime Fighter -- use only when needed, maybe once monthly, if then.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Edit: one more thing. should i have something like ad-aware and spybot installed. recommended on another forum a few days ago.

Edited by KrazyMonkey, 12 February 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Ad-Aware is an Antivirus product. Considering the fact that you already have avast! installed and you should never have more than one Antivirus installed at the time on a system, I would keep avast!. Plus, Ad-Aware isn't the product it used to be years ago, and this is sad. I can say the same for Spybot. If you need an Antimalware, or second-opinion scanner, I would use Malwarebytes instead. It's the best in its category to this day. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also good, but it's paid (it have a 30 days trial however).

unite_blue.png

#13 KrazyMonkey

KrazyMonkey

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

Ah good, already have Malwarebytes, thanks again :thumbsup2:

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

No problem Krazy :)

unite_blue.png

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

FYI Aura, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware also offer a 15 day trial or free right away - for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, you need to complete its 30 day trial before you can use the free version.

And no, I don't recommend both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D - their era is over. It's the rise of Malwarebytes and Emsisoft now :P

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users