Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buck Rogers1609

Buck Rogers1609

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

I currently have a  Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 installed in my pc, but I recently have the opportunity to pick up a Core 2 Quad Q9650 for $40. Would it be worth the upgrade, or would there not be much of a diffrence in performance? Thanks, any feedback would be much appreciated.

SPECS:
----------------------------
Motherboard Name: Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Eaglelake Q45
Motherboard Product: 03NVJ6
BIOS Version:  A15

Current CPU Installed: Quad Core Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400

CurrentVideo Adapter Installed: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Edited by Buck Rogers1609, 04 February 2015 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

Up to you I guess mate. It is a better chip in terms of cache, so it will speed you up a little. Both of them are almost obsolete now though... Might be better putting that $40 in the bank to save for your next PC.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Based on these benchmarks I'd say the differences are negligible however for 40 bux.  It is still an increase in performance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

FWIW:  "Upgrade" isn't normally expected to mean "1 step up, with barely noticeable performance increase" and that's what your proposal sounds like to me.  I would be aiming higher/newer if I wanted to ditch my current CPU.

I prefer AMD processors so I'm not familiar with either of your alternatives...but I know that anything saying "Socket 775" is long ago, far away in ComputerLand in an environment where research and improvements occur constantly...making more recent CPUs much better choices for any buyer/user.  Put into automotive perspective...it's analogous for me to ditch my 2000 Chevy for a 2002 model Chevy.  That's hardly an "upgrade", more like an uncerrtain replacement, IMO..  .

I'm always curious...what would swapping these two processors...what benefits do YOU think that would come with such?

Louis

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

Great post Ham.. excellent analogy and explanation.

#6 Buck Rogers1609

Buck Rogers1609
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

Well all right then, thanks for the quick feedback you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users