Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mutually Exclusive Workgroup Switch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Delta-V

Delta-V

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Hi, so I am a domain envirenment and am trying to set up a switch to get two computers onto the network and internet, However whenever I plug evreything in...

One computer will always get a connection to the internet though ourdomain.local and the other will connect to Unidentified Network.

The switch is a Cisco Systems 5 port 10/100 Model: EZXS55W.

I have had this same problem on other 10/100 switchs on other switches in my building

Both Computer have already been joined to the domain.

I'm not very exsperianced with networks and am trying to use this as an opertunity to learn.

I know there is another switch the walljacks are connected to in the server room, and I would assume before that there is a device that provides NAT.

I will post the toolbox resaults when I get some removable media to install it on the unnetworked machine. If anyone knows whats up walk me though whats happening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

From what you describe it does not sound like the 2nd pc is getting a ip address.  Use ipconfig/all on the pc with the unidentified network pc to see if it is getting a valid ip address.  If no gateway entry you are not getting a good ip address.

#3 Delta-V

Delta-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

From what you describe it does not sound like the 2nd pc is getting a ip address.  Use ipconfig/all on the pc with the unidentified network pc to see if it is getting a valid ip address.  If no gateway entry you are not getting a good ip address.

Alright, I did that and you are correct.

Connection gets a IP adress and connects to gateway, second machine on only gets a local link adress.

But where do I go from here?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:29 PM

This can indicated three things;

1. your dhcp server doesn't have enough addresses for all of the connected equipment

2. your router/lan is misconfigured

3. you have a bad port/bad cable/bad lan port

What is the ip address the one connection is getting?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 February 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#5 Delta-V

Delta-V
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Maybe, here is how I see it.

1. your dhcp server doesn't have enough addresses for all of the connected equipment

I ran the subnet we are on though a calculator and we should have more then enough IPs, in adition when I do a NS lookup on the offline computer it does have a record of the machine's IP. I think this is the least likely. 

2. your router/lan is misconfigured

How would I test into this more?

3. you have a bad port/bad cable/bad lan port

I tested the cables with my cable tool, that doesn't rule out the lan port, but I have had this problem on multiple devices.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

How many hosts total [static and dynamic]?

What ip subnet are you using?

What subnet mask are you using?

What is the lease time period?

How many switches in series are there before you get to the dhcp server?  In other words you have server<>switch<>???<>workstation

If you do a static ip assignment to the workstation not getting a dhcp ip does it get to the server OK?

You may have enough addresses but if the dhcp server is misconfigured [no scavenging] then ip addresses are marked as being used and not released.  You WILL run out no question about it.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 05 February 2015 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users