Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Recover Windows 8.1 PC that is Non-bootable with Locked BIOS Password

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

I have a customer's Lenovo Desktop that has a corrupted Microsoft Account Password, thus preventing access to the PC. Changing the password does not work as it appears this must be done on the affected pc.  Also, Lenovo has an Administrative Lock on the BIOS Password.  Resetting CMOS did not work (took out CMOS battery for 30 minutes, changed Cmos reset jumpers with power completely turned off - neither worked).  Thus cannot change from secure boot to Legacy Boot.  When customer comes back from vacation we will go to store where he purchased the PC and hopefully in conjunction with Lenovo obtain the password. Also, made a mistake and re-initialized the HHD as GPT.  I think the HHD is GPT and not MBR, but the re-initialization now prevents the computer from booting at all.

Trying to get Administrative Bios password from manufacture so can change to Legacy Boot so can boot in Hiren's so I can use MiniTool Partition Wizzard to hopefully recover the HHD Partition so I will be able to boot normally, and also with Net User command in Command Prompt create an Administrative ID which will enable me to completely get into the computer.

MY QUESTION IS:  If, for some reason Lenovo does not relinquish the administrative password, how can I either rebuild or reinstall the Windows 8.1 operating system?  What would the actual procudures be?  I have a test machine, HP Pavilion Notebook that is also 64 bit and Windows 8.1.  I am looking at creating a rescue/recovery/re-install disc on this machine to use in the Lenovo. However, as I have never done this before, I do not know how to use this without having legacy boot turned on.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I obtain the password, if so and MiniTool Partition Wizzard works, should be good to go.  Right now, just trying to develop a VALID backup plan if the above does not happen.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated;

Chuck Devlin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users