Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built a PC, wont start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XerXerXes

XerXerXes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi! I built a new pc, and when i thought i was done i plugged in the power, turned on the psu, and pressed the power button on the case. The LED next to the power button flashed once, but nothing else happend. Pressing the power button agian did nothing.

I turned off the psu, and checked that all the cables where properly in, and then i tried again. The same thing happend again, but this time i noticed the fan on the psu moved a little bit, for half a second, before it stopped. Pressing the power button again did nothing until i turned off the psu, waited, turned it on again, and pressed the button. The LED flashed, and the psu fan moved slightly.

My thought is that psu doesnt work. Anyone agree?

How can i test if it works or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

MIGHT BE THE POWER SUPPLY IS BAD, ALSO CHECK THE CPU HEATSINK IS PROPERLY SEATED (TIGHTEN DOWN) AND MAKING CONTACT WITH THE CPU, MAKE SURE YOU APPLY THERMAL COMPOUND.

Edited by mauguilar, 04 February 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

mauguilar, to add to your great advice -- OP needs to carefully check each and every item, ensure everything is properly, correctly, firmly [not forced!] seated.  Are the memory modules correct for the motherboard?  In the old days, we would unplug everything and start with motherboard, then monitor; then keyboard, later, the mouse.  Add one or two memory module[s].  Add remaining memory modules.  Add one harddrive next.  Add another HD if there are two. And, as the PC post-beeped successfully, gave correct "boot-beeps." we would keep adding one more item, one more item.  Eventually, a bad or nonWorking item would surface, or, we found out during the reseating and reconnecting - we had made a bad seat or bad connection.  Obviously, the above applies to a desktop or minitower.  Laptops - a whole new ballgame.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2015 - 02:20 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

A common fault I run across on some home built units the the proper placement of standoffs that support the MOBO.  A clue would be to assemble the bare essentials on a sheet of cardboard, outside the case.  I use nylon standoffs and screws on all my builds.  The PS attempting to start and stopping is the unit protecting itself from a shorted output.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

The few times when i've seen this happen is

1.  The CPU was improperly inserted into the socket and as such had bent pins.

2.  The motherboard is grounding out inside the case for improperly placed standoff

3.  The component shield for the back of the case was improperly inserted and THAT was grounding out the motherboard.

**4.  Although I never dealt with this i've heard people say that their memory was improperly placed in the slots.

#6 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

did you plug in the power to the motherboard near the cpu  not the atx but the 4 or 6 pin socket

motherboard_40_1-2-300x243.jpg http://techguykyle.com/?p=427

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:19 AM

The others have very good ideas. I once had a problem with my cord. Is the cord you're using new? My computer would start, then shut down for no known reason, or not start at all. The female end of the cord, the contacts inside were screwy, and even though the cord was not touched the computer shut off or would not start.

Just something to try if all else fails and your cord is not new. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users