Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 9 Downloading Issues

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hey all got a customer's computer in here with a download problem...

There is one user account on this Windows Vista machine that has an issue with IE 9 when downloading files.
The banner at the bottom after clicking save says "running security scan" and then "could not download this file" after that. However, the file actually does download and it runs just fine.

On IE8 the problem doesn't exist at all, files download with no issues every time and no error messages.

The issue only occurs on ONE user account on the system. Other users download just fine regardless of the IE version.

Anyone seen this before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hi Uselesslight :)

Did you try to reset the advanced settings via the Internet Options? What did you try so far in order to fix the issue?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

I've reset all the browser settings, ran various clean up tools, ran with add-ons disabled...

A few fixits from MS themselves.. I've tried a lot of things.. There was one reg setting that I was going to disable for ScanWithAntiVirus in the policies/attachments in the registry, but that setting didn't actually exist. Not sure if it may be Win7 and later specific, but I found that snippet in advice for Win Vista.

I've been working on it for awhile, can't remember everything I've done, just hoping someone may have seen it before lol, pretty odd error!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

What Antivirus, Antimalware and Firewall programs are installed on the system?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

It's got Microsoft Security Essentials. Norton Identity Safe was installed, and due to that, I ran the NRnR tool just to make sure there was no remnants. I disabled MSE and tried the downloads again, didn't work. I doubt it's going to be an AV setting anyways though, because it is user specific. For example, on the user "betsy" I can't download in IE9 but on the profile "administrator" I can download

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Well, it looks to be simple user profile corruption. Let's try something, reset the user settings on Internet Explorer via the Internet Options, then run TFC and restart the computer. After that, try to download again.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png

#7 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

Okay, I'll get back to you with the results once I'm finished running it. Appreciate your lightning fast response time by the way!

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

No problem, I usually reply pretty fast :P In the worst case, if it still doesn't work, you could always back up all the personal data from the account in a folder on the C:, like Temp, then delete the profile and create a new one. This is usually what I do when I encounter an error that a classify as "user profile corruption".

unite_blue.png

#9 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hopefully it won't come to that, I know what you mean though often times a reload or a new profile is the most "effective" I guess...

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

It's more painful if the user kept a lot of data in her userprofile, hence why I prefer keeping my data directly on the C: drive or even better, on a secondary HDD and I use shortcuts. This way, I can delete and create profiles at will without losing anything.

unite_blue.png

#11 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Okay so there is a new development at least. After running TFC I go to download a file and it starts, makes it somewhere between 20-50% on the progress indicator and then it says "the file could not be downloaded". Prior to running TFC it wouldn't even show an indication of it's progress, as soon as the download was started it would stop and the error would print on the screen.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

It looks like a corruption of the Internet Explorer settings and cache. To where are set the %tmp% and %temp% environment variables?

unite_blue.png

#13 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

TMP %USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\temp

TEMP %USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\temp

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

Can you reset all the Internet Security Zones to their default levels and see if you can download freely after?

unite_blue.png

#15 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

I've attempted that previously, and even turned all the security settings to their lowest.

Question though...

Why does “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments\ScanWithAntiVirus” this not exist in the registry? Should it be there? A lot of posts about this problem point to that registry entry being the problem, and they're all for Windows Vista, but that entry is not present..?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users