Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD Not Reaching Close to it's Advertised Speeds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DustCrow

DustCrow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Here's the main problem, before you read all the details below! Purchased a new SSD, it's in AHCI mode working properly. Box suggests 550 read 500 write (mbs) I'm getting 250 read and 90 write.

Here are the details!

I went out yesterday and purchased a 120 GB SSD, from the brand Silicon Power SATA III. It cost me only $60 (: The box claims 550 read and 500 write speeds, in mb/s. 

My current motherboard has 4 SATA ports, a couple months ago 2 of them died completely, 2 of them work fine. I only used two, one for my HDD and one for my DVD-Drive. I now needed 3, because I wanted the new SSD to be my main drive, and the old HDD, which is 500 gb, to be a simple storage drive. So I also purchased a 2 Port SATA PCI board. Plugs into my PCI port, gives 2 extra SATA.

So here's what I did. I used a program I googled to transfer my old drive contents to the new SSD, including windows. I had 55gb worth of Data on the HDD, which is now on my SSD. Windows boots fine, everything works. I do notice a small speed increase, but compared to the 4 year old drive... I was expecting more.

SSD is connected directly to the motherboard SATA port.

HDD is connected to the SATA PCI board. 

In BIOS, my SATA is set to AHCI. 

So... why am I not getting decent speeds? My 4 year old standard HDD gets about 80 read and 80 write, my SSD gets 250 read (not bad.. but..) and 90 write (basically the same as my HDD).

I must be doing something wrong!

Would wiping the SSD and installing fresh windows 8 be smart? Would that guarantee a fix, or just be a possibility? 

Here are my PC Details if it may help:

Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel chipset

8 GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Your help is greatly appreciated! (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

Your board supprts 4 3Gb/sec connectors and 2 (white) 6GB connectors.  The SSD should be plugged into one of the white connectors. If this is true make sure you have the mainboard drivers installed correctly and check for updates.  You may need the intel rapid storage drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users