Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Advice] Mention if you're running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 when posting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hey all :)

Just a little piece of advice for when you post a thread here and ask for assistance. It'll help if you post exactly which version of Windows 8 you are running, either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. I say that because it happens quite often that someone will mention Windows 8 in his thread title, then say in the thread that he runs Windows 8.1, or vice-versa. It might seems irrelevant to mention, but there's a lot of issues and "glitches" in Windows 8 that are fixed in Windows 8.1, so if you were to ever post an issue or ask a question about something in Windows 8 that is fixed in Windows 8.1 and that you didn't upgrade yet, the first thing that will be recommended to you by the helpers here is to upgrade to Windows 8.1. This way, there's a chance that your issue might get fixed by the update since it could be corrected in Windows 8.1, and if it's not, then the helpers will know that they need to look somewhere else. There's also known "glitches" under Windows 8.1, so if you say that you run Windows 8 and have a certain issue, but you tell us that in fact you are running Windows 8.1 because you just upgraded or else, then the helpers will suspect that the issue you're facing is one of the "known" ones under Windows 8.1, when you upgrade from Windows 8.

I could eventually make a list of these known issues in the future if it's needed. But for now, know that telling us the exact version of Windows that you run is important to us when you ask for assistance here.

Thank you :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

This deserves to be pinned :wink:

Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 04 February 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Haha thank you Alex :) I always end up asking that question in every threads I assist in here!

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Yes that information is important. We actually have a pinned topic which covers that and more.

Before you post about a problem, Some simple guidelines

:step3: Important!! Please advise what operating system (Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Vista, XP) you are using in your initial topic. Depending on whether you are using Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Vista, XP (or older), Linux & Unix, Mac OS, answers and helpful instructions may vary accordingly.

When I see a topic with little or no useful information...I reply with the above link and most reply back with the pertinent info.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

Would be good if there was a distinction between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, since a lot of people consider it the same, but troubleshooting wise, these are two different Windows and that's why I created this thread but I'll bookmark it and link it in the future as well thank you :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

Yes there should be a distinction between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

I have it written as Windows 8/8.1...do you want me to change it to Windows 8, Windows 8.1 for more clarity?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yes, it would be appreciated, since when I see the "/" being used, I see it as either of the option are good to be used, but in this case, we want to know precisely which one, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

Done.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Thank you quietman, once again I appreciate your assistance :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:26 PM

You're welcome.