Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference Between Sdram And Ddrram?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vinith_04

vinith_04

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:39 AM

Hi

I wanted to know the difference between DDRRAM and SDRAM?

Which is better among these two? I mean which of these will make my computer faster.

Please help.

Regards,

Vinith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:05 AM

DDR is faster than SDR, and DDR2 is faster than DDR. Your motherboard will determine which type of ram you can use. If your mobo supports DDR2, you can still use DDR as it is backwards compatible, but of course it will not be as fast.

That is how I understand it, anyway, and if I am wrong feel free to correct me.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:21 AM

Quoted from FaqFarm "DDR standards for "Double Data Rate". DDR can transfer data on both the rising and falling edge of the clock signal, whereas standard SD ram can onle transfer data on one or the other. This means data throughput on DDR memory is twice as fast, hence the name "Double Data Rate". Also, they are physically different, A DDR modules has one notch on the contact strip, SD modules have two"

And SD-RAM stands for "Synchronized Dynamic-Random Access Memory" which is the typical memory found in Penitum 2's, 3's and some lower end 4's. Not to sure what AMD's use SD-RAM?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

Just to answer Protozero's question, AMD motherboards (meaning of course motherboards designed for AMD processors) from the Super Socket 7 era through the early years of Socket A used SDRAM. I have a Gigabyte Mobo with a VIA KT133 chipset for example (about 5 yrs old) and a couple of Super socket 7 mobos from the late '90s that take SDRAM. Not sure exactly when the changeover to DDR took place but it was certainly complete when AMD upped FSB speeds to 166 MHz on the last generation of Socket A's.

Edited by DaveM59, 25 June 2006 - 06:02 PM.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:59 AM

Hi vinith.

If you are looking to replace your RAM, check this out: RAM

Edited by rowal5555, 26 June 2006 - 03:00 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users