Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery From Thumb Drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hi, everyone.

I have absolutely no idea why this happened, but I need help badly. I have a 16GB thumb drive where I keep a LOT of my work. Last night, preparing to take it with me today, I used the "Safely Remove Hardware" function and ejected the drive, then removed it from the computer. This morning, I remembered a couple of files I needed to put on it, and I plugged it back in. Windows spent a good three minutes trying to read the drive, then returned the message that it is empty. I tried multiple USB ports, all with the same result.

Here's an odd thing. If the drive is "empty," then how is Windows seeing the autorun.inf file that instructs Windows to use the custom icon that is stored on the drive?

I desperately need help in recovering as much of the data as I can from this drive. Thanks in advance.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

Is the drive listed as RAW in Disk Management?

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

I'm going to post a few screenshots to show you what Disk Management says. The drive in question is Drive N:

drce1f.jpg

1zefpmr.jpg

evdymx.jpg

2hdn19z.jpg

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 February 2015 - 01:05 PM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Have to tried attaching to a different computer?

Assign a different drive letter to the flash drive in Disk  Management. Does that work?

If not download USBdeview. Detach the flash drive and any other external USB device other than mouse, keyboard and network. Run USBdeview and other than your mouse, keyboard and network device delete any vendor specific device. USBdeview will show all devices that have been attached to the computer. Sometimes old drivers can conflict. Reboot and attach the drive.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Assinging a new drive letter did not work. However - thankfully, when I attached the drive to my second computer, it reads everything just fine, so at least I haven't lost all of my work. I'll download the utility you linked to and see what happens.

Edit: Okay, this is very odd. I attempted the download, and received the following error message:

Enter name of file to save to...

M:\Downloads\usbdeview-x64

File not found.

Check the filename and try again

WTF??

I'll use the other computer and D/L to a different USB drive, then copy it over to my HDD.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 February 2015 - 03:54 PM.

Snowden03.png

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Thank you, John - USBdeview fixed the problem. I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief, as well as backing up all the info on that drive that stays on the drive to a rewritable CD...

Snowden03.png

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

backing up all the info on that drive that stays on the drive to a rewritable CD...

RW optical media is less reliable than a flash drive - I'd suggest only use rewritables for temporary storage and transfer. Certainly it's very desirable to have more than one copy of anything important, and even RW discs answer that function, but every RW disc I've ever possessed has lost its contents and been thrown out. Regular writable R discs are much more dependable.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

backing up all the info on that drive that stays on the drive to a rewritable CD...

RW optical media is less reliable than a flash drive - I'd suggest only use rewritables for temporary storage and transfer. Certainly it's very desirable to have more than one copy of anything important, and even RW discs answer that function, but every RW disc I've ever possessed has lost its contents and been thrown out. Regular writable R discs are much more dependable.

Thanks Platypus - I wasn't aware of that. I've seldom used them. CDs are cheap enough that I can use a regular disc.

As an aside, some other things were going on during this process that are odd. One of my HDDs simply disappeared from Windows - it didn't even show up in Disk Management. All other thumb drives had disappeared from the Safely Remove Hardware function. And the strangest - I have a Seagate 2TB Expansion drive that is connected via USB. When I tried to remove it, I received the message that it was in use and could not be removed. I closed everything, but it still returned that same message. So, I shut down the computer, unplugged both the power and USB cables, and started the computer again. The drive was absent from Windows Explorer, but it was still listed in the Safely Remove Hardware list. When I told Windows to let me disconnect it, I received the message that the drive was in use and could not be removed - even though it was physically disconnected from the computer. Any ideas on why that might happen?

Snowden03.png

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

As you have found out USB drives are for temporary storage, not your only copy.  Back ups are very important if you're using a USB drive to store your data.  You also might want to change your removal policy to Quick Removal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users