Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To See Through A Magnifier

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:49 AM

Hi Everyone

I promise, I have tried every way and used every combination of search terms that I can think of to see if this question has been answered .. somewhere, before I asked here.

I am Really, Really new to pc's and I try my best to figure out my problems before I bother others with what I suspect is a 'typical' newbie's question.

That being said, I have one, (a problem) that has me stumped.

First. I have a new Gateway MCE 2005 (media center edition) pc which I'm not sure if it carries the Home or Pro XP. (amd athlon 64x2 duel core processor 3800+) My bios say pro.

Just in case it is important in answering my question, I have the gateway 21" Fpd2185w flat panel monitor. (the one that you can turn on its axis and the display changes from landscape to portrait screen atomaticaly)

Ok, the question.

I use the magnifier, Alot.

I can see everything, text, pictures, icons, my desktop clock .. Everything except when one of those "alert messages" pop up on the task bar.

When I put the magnifier over one of those messages, they just dissapear!?

An example would be something like: Mcafee putting up one of those balloon messages at the bottom of the screen saying that my virus scanner needs updating.

When I put the magnifier on where the text message (balloon) should be, it isn't there? Those balloon messages Will Not show in my magnifier.

If, this question makes any sense .. to anyone, I hope that you can help me out here.

Being Almost blind is bad enough. Being Almost blind, fairly young and pc illiterate is .. The Worst!

Thank You Everyone
MC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hi MrClose. The reason that the popup messages are not being magnified is because the maghifier only magnifies what is on the Desktop. The popups aren't part of the Desktop.

The only suggestion I can make is to lower the screen resolution to 800 X 600 if you haven't done that already.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

Here is another option for you to try out.

One can move this magnifier around the screen as needed while the resolution and magnification are customizable.

Virtual Magnifying Glass 3.2.1 A free, open source, screen magnifier, for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD

http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:03 AM

I would like to apologize for not being able to say "Thank You" much sooner to the wonderful folks here who responded to my question.

I don't get to read a whole lot on the internet. (doctors orders .. lol)

My eyes have degenerated to the point that I can barely read what I am typing here. (I am sitting 3 inches from my 21 inch lcd monitor) Heck .. That's life though !

Everyone has problems and this just happens to be mine.
I just want to find a way to enjoy what I can see on the internet, for as long as I can.

This is a wonderful forum and a great place to learn.

Thank You for your kindness.

Mc

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

To help with that, you should probably hold control and push the plus sign on the right side of your keyboard. It increases font size and makes it so you don't have to go blind. If the ctrl plus doesn't work go to view then text size and then go to increase. It will help I hope.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hello MrClose, I was reading here about your having a slight vision problem, mine is not as bad as yours but I know where you are coming from. I have a friend who has an eye condition that is limiting his ability to see and was stooping him from using his computer. One day this big guy was over his house and he was complaining that he can not see the screen, I made a suggestion that he look into a program called, "JAWS." This program is used for blind people and it verbally tells you everything on the screen including error messages etc. When you move the mouse over an icon it tells you what icon it is. He laughed at me until his mother bought the program for him, he no longer laughs, he just happily uses his internet. I would suggest contacting the Association for the Blind and see if they can do anything for you on this point, you may be able to get it thru there.

I wish you a happy day and all the best.

ThorXP

Edited by ThorXP, 08 July 2006 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users